Great minds think alike (and fools seldom differ...).
I am in the process right now of building just such an
enclosed "housing" for my processor and wash tank. I am going with
Girl Mark's Fumeless Processor design utilising a water heater as a
processor (Giant has a stubby that holds 110 liters and is only
36inches high) so it fits right in with a 45gal drum (Imperial)
having the exact same diameter (25 inhes), sooo, on the one side I
am placing the processor and then some shelves in the middle and the
wash tank on the other side.
The entire cabinet is 3ft wide, 6ft high and 6 ft long. I have a
fold out short table that folds up against the far wall where the
handles are for moving the unit around on it's casters. Illumination
is done via a three light string sold for kitchen decor.
Inside the processor and wash tank are elevated allowing enough
space to house several 22 liter pails underneath. The elevation also
allows for the plumbing from the wash tank to be drilled through
the "floor" and directed to a filter before being stored.
I live in a second floor apartment and the unit sits next to the
Benz in a heated garage near the electrical outlet and not far from
the garden hose attachment. It is almost finished (doing this one
paycheck at a time)and will then be painted flat grey to match the
cinder block garage walls. The processing will done done nocturnally
to afford maximum privacy, the bubbler will be on a timer and the
only thing that will protrude is the electrical cord which will run
along the floor.
One of the central shelves is for the methoxide container and will
be high enough to gravity feed it to the pump. The other shelves
will hold things like a small hotplate, some titration tools ect...
The actual chems will be stored in a locker area that is cool and
dark 99% of the time. I will only store very small amounts under the
platform the processor and wash tank are sitting on, next to the 22
liter pails.
The entire system, including lights is run off a junction box
complete with breaker on/off switches, twist-lock connectors for the
processor, pump and preheat tank (the preheat tank will be working
off the fold out table and feed directly to the pump, the preheat
has a 110V immersion heater attached and a drain at the bottom
welded to it.),a regular plug-in type electrical outlet (for the
hotplate/bubbler/lights) and an emergency mushroon type kill switch
just in case.
For all intents and purposes it appears like a work station that you
would do odd jobs on/with. The flat grey is not very eye catching
(the point).
Yes, I am taking pictures as I go, and should have the whole thing
functional in a few weeks to a month (paycheck to paycheck, ha!)
Maybe if Keith wants another example processor for the list I could
be encouraged (just ask)to submit all of this again with pics once
it is finished.
This is a first time event for me in many ways. I have NEVER built a
cabinet before. I have NEVER gotten in to any kind of chemistry
before. I have NEVER had to design anything from scratch before
either. I am sure that someone with actual talent at building stuff
could make a much prettier finished product, but it will functional;
and discreet.