Hi Joey

>Dear Keith,
>     I have combed the archives and can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

Which archives did you use? Such a sentence speaks of Yahoo's
archives, which is next to useless. Try this one (linked at the end
of every message):

http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/biofuel/

>Therefore, if I'm asking for information that has already seen discussion,
>please just point me in the right direction.
>
>     I'm preparing a presentation to the AMA (Alberta Motor Assoc.), and I'd
>like to find some statistics that put plant-based fuels into perspective.
>Statistics that hypothesize the amount of arable acres necessary to operate
>"x" % of vehicles on plant-based fuels (specifically oilseed).  Or, details
>on the canola situation, and how many vehicles can operate on currently
>planted acres.  I also remember hearing something about the potential
>utilization of idle acres to significantly ease the fuel situation.

I'm perhaps the wrong person to ask about this, because I'll say it's
the wrong question. See, for instance (please do!):

http://archive.nnytech.net/sgroup/BIOFUELS-BIZ/1395/
How much fuel can we grow?

http://archive.nnytech.net/sgroup/BIOFUELS-BIZ/1801/
How much land?

Remember, also, that with industrialised commodity crops like canola
and soy the oil is essentially a by-product, the "product" is the
seedcake after the oil has been removed, used as livestock feed.
Hence the enormous quantity of "surplus" soy oil in the US ("the
world's biggest tank farm"), and yet, "level playing fields" and all,
this is not reflected in the price to consumers. I don't think that
this will ever be a subject that's rationally treated until it's
regarded as an *energy* issue, not just an agriculture issue (which
means what benefits the agribusiness interests much more than what
benefits farmers and the community in general). Don't hold your
breath.

>     Furthermore, BIOX (www.bioxcorp.com) claims, "BIOX is the only process
>that can compete at a remarkable $0.07/litre CAD. This new technology makes
>biodiesel the most cost-effective green fuel available and competitive with
>petroleum diesel on the market."  At the current bulk vegetable oil price of
>$0.77(CAD)/Litre, that's a fairly attractive price.  Does their process look
>viable to you?

No, nor to many others. There's a lot about this in the archives,
including opinions from other biodiesel industry figures in the US
and in Europe, and including discussion of a response a list member
got from Biox's Dr David Boocock. It boils down to about 100%
scepticism. It's a no-no. Search for "Biox" or "Boocock":
http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/biofuel/

Well, here:

http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/biofuel/?keywords=biox&time=all&usertime
=2002-12-31

http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/biofuel/?keywords=boocock&time=all&usert
ime=2002-12-31

When you access the messages, if you hit on "Click here for more on
this subject" you get a clickable table of the whole thread.

Best wishes

Keith