Darryl McMahon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>As for a biodiesel-electric hybrid, it is with some pride (and a tinge of
>embarassment over the extended delays) that I can announce the Porsche 914
>project
>is now in the hands of a friend of mine to complete the work to make it
>roadable as
>a pure electric.  (I've had to admit I'm not finding the time to do it myself,
>and
>for a change, paid work is coming in fairly steadily.)  Once licensing and
>insurance and emissions certification are out of the way, I will be looking at
>the
>final step - installing the (yet to be acquired) diesel generator set to make
>it an
>electric-biodiesel hybrid.

>Bruce, the 914 may not be a practical 3rd-world vehicle, but it should turn
>heads -
>and in government circles here, that's worth more than practicality in terms
>of
>delivering the message.  What sort of co-operation are you looking for?

>Darryl McMahon

Darryl-
I am considering a rather novel approach to the design of such a sustainably
powered hybrid electric vehicle - doing it by open source internet
collaboration on a .org web site that I am developing specifically for the
purpose of collaboration on various projects for a better world.  By open
source, I mean that the project would be in the spirit of open source software
in that the design would be in the public domain for others to contribute to as
well as freely use and copy if they choose, as long as their ideas and
improvements also are disclosed and made available to others in turn.  I would
hope that such collaboration would begin by defining a vehicle design that
would be applicable to the third world - perhaps some kind of rugged utility
vehicle might be appropriate.  Hopefully ideas for such a design would come
from people in those countries where they know the local needs, requirements
and market potential.  Local sourcing information for materials and parts would
also be an important ingredient, as it would be important to maximize local
sourcing.  Various design inputs would flow to the web site from qualified,
interested people with various skills and disciplines necessary to design such
a vehicle (including CAD skills), with a project manager to oversee the entire
online endeavor.  The collaboration web site will have various built in
discussion group topics relevant to the various design areas, but the goal here
is to go beyond discussion to the point of action and implementation.  Other
groups might use information from this project to break off and begin
sustainable HEV projects of their own, and unlike the competitive, proprietary
world, that would actually be welcomed in our collaborative, open source world.
 Therefore to finally answer your original question, by using this model, the
opportunities for cooperation and collaboration are quite extensive and limited
only by one's skills and interests.

Bruce Colley, Sustainable Energy Project
http://www.sustainableenergyproject.org
1997 VW Jetta running on SVO;  SVO powered generator for hybrid EV or
independent power generation.