on 7/9/04 3:36 PM, Ben Bahr at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi, my name is ben, and I am reseaching biomass to energy
> conversion technologies. My interest is in separating biomass into
> hemicellulose, cellulose, and lignin for diversification.
> Feedstock is small diameter forest thinings, sawdust, straws,
> waste paper/plastic.
> I have looked at several pretreatment technologies, such as
> extrusion, fungal, wet oxidation, steam explosion, and a few
> others.
> I want to know what pretreatment is the most economical feasible
> and cost effective when it comes to sustainability.....

Working with rice straw, I've really liked the result of "hammering".
The idea is to break all the feedstock into small fibers, say,
15mm in length and 0.5mm in dia. Makes a great fibrous additive for
adobe, plaster, etc., and i suspect would get the surface area up
to a nice level for most chemical processes. I do it by hand, but
a modified hammer mill could probly do it as well or better.
Pretty sustainable.... -K