Hi Ken and Kim

Good grief... those are the names of my nephew and niece! You're not
my nephew and niece, are you? I'll break out in boils or something if
you start called me Uncle, LOL!

>On Wednesday, July 14, 2004, at 10:46  AM, Kim & Garth Travis wrote:
>

> > it appears that all the recipes and uses I am finding use either
> > portland
> > or lime, so I am  wondering what the advantage to adobe could be?
> >

> From my understanding of the chemistry, there wouldn't be much.
>RHA is a pozzolan, which means it forms calcium silicate hydrates
>in the presence of CaO, which of course is lime, and which is also
>produced as a byproduct of the portland reactions. Unless the
>soil (or the RHA itself) contained significant amounts of CaO or
>calcium hydroxide Ca(OH)2, there wouldn't be a pozzolanic reaction.
>
>The RHA would then be serving as just another filler material
>(a silty aggregate), rather than contributing to the binder fraction
>of the mix.     -K

But it's not just a filler, it definitely does set. I have some right
here in front of me. Set. Not very strong, but definitely set. Much
stronger with some lime and/or portland though, up to full cement
strength. So it's refractory, an insulator, a binder and an extender.
It's important how you burn it though, temp must be in the right
range. It does contain some calcium, potassium, sodium.

Have they solved the slow fire problem with papercrete yet? Boron
they were adding, IIRC. RHA might help to decrease that risk, dunno.
Sure doesn't burn and it's a really good insulator, about the best
we've worked with. The traditional Japanese charcoal stoves we've
been working with are great for 3rd World use, with the disadvantage
that they're best carved from solid diatomaceous earth. So they're
exported, not made there locally, and they're not very cheap. Cheapo
ones here are made of clay, inferior, though also exported. Not big
exports, the very good design is rather lost for 3rd World use unless
they can be made locally with good quality. RHA seems to be more or
less the equal of diatomaceous earth. Earlier I did try using
papercrete, mixed with woodash and also some boron, as insulator for
IDD woodstoves, and got the STOVES crowd interested, but I couldn't
get it right and I don't think they could either.

Regards