----- Original Message -----
From: "John Mullan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, October 09, 2004 04:56
Subject: RE: [Biofuel] Back to grid via WVO genset

> I'll plead ignorance right off the bat.
>
> But is fossil fuel truely carbon negative?  The plants and animals they
are
> derived from were living and breathing albeit a few million years ago.
It's
> just been held in escrow for a while :)  It's just the human virus that's
> releasing it all in a short 100 years.

Think of how much energy it takes to transform 1 barrel of crude oil into
it's end products.

I have heard that by the time that just transporting 1 barrel of crude oil
to the refinery, cost is at least 1 1/2 barrels of oil, then you have to
heat it up ( and that takes more oil ) to refine it, then transport ( again
more oil ) the products to processing plants, and/or fuel stations ( and
that takes more fuel ).    Allot of oil is used just making the oil usable
to the final consumer, because it is not being used to do anything other
than to transport oil and oil products.

On the other hand using WVO, to make BioDiesel ( or as is ), your using a
product that have already seen the normal the end of it's normal usage, and
putting it to work. The amount of energy used to make it available for use
is minimal, because it has already been transported to the general vicinity
were it is going to be used.  Many time it can be had for next to nothing,
other than the work to recover it from the fryer vats.    The carbon in the
ground in sequestered, and when it is used it puts it into the air, where it
is unhealthy.    In the ground it contains various elements that are bound
up, that become toxic ( or otherwise unhealthy to one degree or another )
when released into the air.    To say that it is in escrow is wrong, because
by binding the elements up out of reach in the ground were they are less
'toxic' then it is actualy doing us a favor by being ( staying ) in the
ground.

I will give you this.    There was a time when crude petroleum and it's
products was necessary to get mankind started down the road of technology,
but, now we are technologically at point that they are becoming more
problematic than a necessity.

Greg H.