From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Keith Addison
Sent: Sunday, October 24, 2004 10:09 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [Biofuel] Methanol update

Hello Peggy

<snip>

>If you want to experiment with a backyard still, go to Robert
>Warren's site http://www.alcohol4fuel.com/id36.html and buy his still
>plans.

I'd recommend not doing that - go anywhere else but!

We know about Robert Warren and "his" still. In 1999 friends in Hong
Kong introduced us to Mr Warren, who'd spent a few months there
previously working on a PV project. When we wrote to him he was
living in Florida, short of a job, running out of money, hadn't done
any work on fuel ethanol for many years and was about to unearth his
long-neglected still from the bottom of a closet to sell it at a
garage sale. So we bought it from him, along with some books and docs
on fuel ethanol, and paid for them to be airfreighted to us in Hong
Kong. This was a future investment for us, we weren't then in a
position to start brewing ethanol, but we were making biodiesel and
not very long after that we started the Biofuel list, of which Mr
Warren was an early member. Him and his still were featured at the
Journey to Forever website and plans for building the still were
available from him. He used the Biofuel list as a promotional
platform.

It did not go well, to say the least. You'll find most of the gory
details at these links:

http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/BIOFUEL/1300/
2000-11-20 Charles 803 fuel ethanol still

http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/BIOFUEL/1317/
2000-11-21 Re: Charles 803

http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/BIOFUEL/1350/
2000-11-23 Improving the Charles 803

http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/biofuel/12169/
2002-03-08 Re: [biofuel] Re: Warren Still Design

http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/BIOFUEL/12168/
2002-03-08 Re: [biofuel] Re: Warren Still Design - Still help

http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/biofuel/12152/
2002-03-08 Re: Warren Still Design

In brief:

The Charles 803 still will not work as claimed: instead of 5-7
gal/hour of 180-190 proof "first time every time", it will not give
you more than 2-3 gal/hour of probably not much better than 160 proof.

Serious questions were raised about its safety - and Mr Warren had
cut all the original safety warnings from his instructions.

Mr Warren kept increasing the price of his still plans, for no known
reason, and especially the price of the auto temperature control
valve, though he'd said he would be looking for cheaper suppliers of
the valve. He also refused to divulge who these suppliers were or
where the valve could be obtained. When we finally found this out it
turned out he was charging double the retail price.

Mr Warren had also altered the original instructions to conceal the
fact that using the still didn't even require the valve - it was
considered something of a luxury.

The still plans themselves were not very clear - not sufficient for
even a handy person to build the still from.

Mr Warren's building and operating instructions that came with the
plans were extremely confused. The List of materials included parts
that weren't needed and didn't include parts that were needed, there
were many errors and omissions - it was an over-long, rambling,
chaotic hodge-podge.

Of the 60 people we knew of who'd bought plans from Mr Warren, most
of them list members, only ONE eventually emerged who'd managed to
build the thing, and that because he was an experienced plumber and
AC engineer. He found it severely wanting in performance. He later
scrapped it and bastardised some of the parts to build a completely
different design of still.

We kept having problems with people who'd paid for the plans and
hadn't received them, and our interceding with Mr Warren on their
behalf didn't always have the desired effect. This continued
happening for three years after Mr Warren left the list at the end of
2000 and we'd removed all mention of him and his still from our
website.

It emerged that the story Mr Warren had posted about how the still
came to be designed, by him and some friends, including Pete Charles,
during the oil price spike in 1980, was questionable. The so-called
"Charles 803" still is a direct copy of an earlier still designed by
the Tallgrass Research Institute. This could have serious
implications, as, though the Tallgrass Research Institute closed in
1983 following the death of one of the co-founders, the other
co-founder restarted it in 2001 and republished their manual,
including the original designs. This is dealt with in this post:

http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/BIOFUEL/1350/
2000-11-23 Improving the Charles 803

Some of the links in that post have since changed. Here are the new
links:

"Alcohol Fuel, Can You Make Your Own?", by Ray Hill, from Popular
Science, January 1981:
http://www.green-trust.org/alcohol_.pdf

Mike Nixon
http://www.amphora-society.com/
The Amphora Society

Mike Nixon's comment on the Tallgrass still:
http://www.green-trust.org/PopScienceArticleRebuttal.htm

We have no contact with Mr Warren now, other than that every now and
then someone writes to us to tell us that he was lifted part of our
website and put it on his website without attribution and we have to
tell him to cease and desist, which he eventually does, until the
next time. We have, though, rather regretted that we didn't just let
him flog his old still at a garage sale so his interest in fuel
ethanol wouldn't have been rekindled. We don't exactly welcome
discussion of Mr Warren and his still here.

Best

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever
KYOTO Pref., Japan
http://journeytoforever.org/
Biofuel list owner

>Robert is one of our founders (currently not in the United
>States or participating in BEC and we look forward to his returning to
>California).  But the point of my participation in this forum is to let
>people understand that they can do more for themselves and for their
>communities without a huge personal investment in money.  However, it

<snip>