To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, December 19, 2004 9:38 PM
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] test batches and the JtF quality test

todd,

Appal Energy wrote:
John,

I don't know why you find it necessary to proclaim specific matters to be "sore spots" or as having been "tak[en]... personally."

because you are being pissy about this whole thing.

What I do find perplexing is the amazing number of people who don't read or follow instructions when available, modify them under the premise of "experimentation," even when they're trying out their first batches and should be adhering to them more rigidly than any other time, and then proclaim that they don't work, or aren't "reproducable."

you will note that the reason that I posted it was to do a sort of "peer review" process. you pointed out that I made a mistake in my experimentation and then I took steps to correct that mistake.

What I find even more amazing (actually, not) is the fact that those very same people, once it is discerned or they reveal that the available instructions weren't adhered to, continue to find fault with everything but their own failure to read and follow.

you will note that in my first reply to this I said that I understood that the volume could be a problem, then in my second I said that I would make a bigger test batch and repeat the experiment with the suggested volume.

My personal belief is that if you want to dally in your laboratory, great. But if you wish to lay claims that aren't accurate pursuant to dalliances that are at great variance from any instructions (baseline) that you might imply as having followed, then you probably deserve any frustrations that acrue. Mind you the instructions did say to add 150 ml of water, not 150 ml of icecubes, or chilled water, or even heated water, much less 4 ml in a culture tube. (Hopefully, you did take note of the mention of magnified error when working in such micro-quantities.)

the reason that I did this experiment at all was because I kept making 1L batches following the instructions to the letter that washed nicely but failed the quality test. I figured I could save oil by doing micro tests. you pointed out the error in that and I am taking steps to eliminate that error.

And if your preference is to declare that your failing to run the middle course is a sore spot with others who might point this out, then I'd have to say with certainty you're welcome to whatever frustration you create for yourself. Yes indeed, you are entitled to them.

what??? I suggested that others with cold water may have problems, luc backed me up.

My bet is that if you're sharp enough to conduct all your variances and question your results, you might eventually learn from error and begin to acknowledge the basic necessity of using (and following) a map when venturing into the unknown, rather than just sticking a wetted finger into the air and presuming that all winds blow from the north.

following the map doesn't yield arrival at the destination and I start questioning the map. I am doing the best to have peer review of my questionings. if you were a good scientist you would say "silly john, you made an error here" and I would say "oh, I am sorry, you are right, let me fix that and try again" and we would have advancement.

Nothing personal. Just taking note of your obstinance.

I post results which are questioned and then agree to make the steps to fix the questions. I ask more questions and answer those asked of me, you wave you dick around and call me a bad scientist without answering the majority of my questions. who is being obstinate?

nothing personal, just making note of your hipocracy.

John

Todd Swearingen

Post script:

We've been washing with well/ground water, averaging ~55*F, for the past five years now. Do you think perhaps we should wedge open the shop doors and windows during the winter months in hopes that washes and reactions will work better? There are reasons why shops and labs are kept at reasonable temperatures, the first and foremost is not just to keep the human occupants fuzzy and comfortable.

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Guttridge" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>