before testing my fuel was settled for 7 days until it was crystal clear and light yellow in color. after 24-48 hours it seemed to settle completely but it was still hazy, this went away entirely after the full 7 days. there was no appreciable increase in the volume of the glyc layer after the initial settling period.

ambient temp is 55 degrees. all samples were prepared with normal city water from my tap (I don't think it is hard but there is certainly stuff in it from treatment, like chlorine for example).

glassware used in measuring the samples is accurate to .24mL at 150mL (per labeling etched in the glassware). all measurements are read from the bottom of the meniscus.

samples were added to a small ball jar (about 450mL volume) and then shaken for 10 seconds fairly violently.

at 70 degrees F 150mL sample separated in 4m 10s, it was a celan seperation with absolutly no emulsion. there was some haze in the biodiesel like it looks when I start to wash, it goes sort of milky yellow with lots of tiny little bubbles, this will become crystal clear and even lighter yellow than it began if allowed to settle for a while (usually a day or two).

at 40 degrees F 150mL sample separated in 12m 4s, there was gunk in emulsion in the FAME on top that never settled out, after about seven minutes it had separated into 60/40 (the 60 being BD) with lots of emulsion in the biodiesel layer, this emulsion never really broke but it reached about 55/45 by the 12m 4s point at which point it was as complete as it got within the 40m before I disposed of it. I don't think that I would say this "passed" because of the junk in the top layer and also because it never really came back to 50/50.

some questions remain:

this test clearly tests for three things: soap, monoglycerides, and diglycerides. how can we test for triglycerides (really incomplete reaction)?

if we look at the results and say "this didn't pass" we should have some path for figuring out why. what methods can be used to tell the difference between excess soap and unreacted mono and di glycerides?

do we learn anything from the separation time itself on a "passing" batch? is 4m fuel better than 10m fuel?