Appal Energy wrote:
If you've got triglycerides remaining you'll also have the emulsifying mono- and di-glycerides, primary emulsifiers. If you've got no emulsifiers present, then you're going to be very hard pressed to find any registerable amount of triglycerides. It's really an "either/or" scenario. This is where a wash test is a fair indicator. If emulsion forms using water of room temp, presuming sufficient settling time has been conducted (and better still if the reaction was a/b), then you know you've got incompletely reacted mono- and di-glycerides. Whether or not you know the molecular ratio of each, much less that of any tri-glycerides is relatively a non-issue.

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=447609751&f=719605551&m=926101095

<quote>
Well, I got my report back from Magellan Midstream. My sample tested as follows:
0.002 mass% Free Glycerin
0.940 mass% Monoglyceride
1.084 mass% Diglyceride
3.911 mass% Triglyceride
0.815 mass% Tot. Glycerin
</quote>

I am less concerned with altering the process to achieve less soap (it seems to produce little enough as it is, provided that you use the right amount of lye) than I am with finding a method to tell the difference between an underreacted batch and a soapy batch,

Well, if that's the case, I'd have to say that you've got your priorities out of order.

priorities at present rank figuring out what is going on highest of all so when I start doing this for real I really know :)

the answer is reprocess a sample of the batch that failed and look for glyc to drop out, if it dosen't you have soap problems,

That's not true. Soap drops with the glyc. If "nothing" drops then you have no problem.

if you have soap but no mono, di, or triglycerides will anything drop out?

if it does you have underreacted your batch. this may also be my test for triglycerides.

No. It just tells you that you had an underreacted batch, not the ratios of underreacted components.

yes, but if you pass the wash test and you still get something dropping out then that would indicate triglycerides as they don't emulsify.

I understand, but perhaps having a sense of "really great fuel will separate within 4 minutes at 70 degrees wheras less good but passable fuels will separate in 10 or more minutes with the outside limit of pasability being 30 minutes" would be helpful.

You want a "green light" so that you can run incompleted fuel through your engine? Why not strive for completed reactions rather than "outs?"

not looking for outs. if the instructions on the wash test had said "if you have really high quality fuel it will settle in 4 minutes whereas passable fuel will settle in 30 minutes or less" I would have personally made the decision to work on the 4 minute fuel (I am kind of picky and I like my car a lot). as it was noted in my previous message I attained 4 minute fuel, if my fuel had been 27 minute fuel, based on the posted instructions I would have said "cool, well within spec, wash pour in tank and drive on" based on my current understanding I would presently be disappointed with anything that settled in longer than 5 minutes at 70 degrees (which disagrees with the instructions).

A biodieseler's biggest concerns are getting all the methanol, soap and catalyst out of the fuel

at present my biggest concern is knowing that I have satisfied those concerns :)