I gave up chemistry long time ago but i believe you are very very right. I think that some more advanced chemical consepts must be in the JTF site for those interesting. I can contribute more in analytical chemistry instrumentation setup.

Stelios

----- Original Message ----- From: "bob allen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, January 14, 2005 7:46 PM
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] Iso-propanol

hello Kieth, Andy, et al,

Why base catalyzed transesterifcation works well with Methanol but not so well with most other alcohol. (another little chemistry lesson).

Among common alkyl alcohols such as Methanol (MeOH) Ethanol (EtOH), isopropanol (iPrOH) and higher homologs, only MeOH has a pKa lower than water.
MeOH  15.5
HOH      15.7
EtOH     16.0
iPrOH      16.7
What this means is that when you mix NaOH or KOH with Methanol, equilibrium favors formation of the Methoxide ion -OMe : MeOH + KOH --> K+ + - OMe + HOH but for the others the Hydroxide ion is favored:

iPrOH   +   KOH   <---     K+   +   -OiPR   +   HOH

Only when the right side of the equation is favored, is a significant concentration of the alcoxide present. It is the alcoxide which accomplishes transesterifcation. When the left side is favored, significant hydroxide is present. Hydroxide causes significant saponification. The left side of the equation is favored for all alcohols whose pKa is higher than water.

There are tricks to shift the equilibrium (Le Chatelier's Principle) but it gets more difficult, expensive or both.

Keith Addison wrote:

Hello Andy

I am helping a friend setup a reactor and he has 4 55 gallon drums of
IPA.  He has little time so it is slow going, but I will let you know
how it goes.  Since the it has the higher boiling point we will run at
a higher temperatures.

I am interested in trying the BIOX reaction as well but want to make
sure that the reactor is air tight first.

:-) I'd suggest you check on whether the process is watertight before you start bothering about the reactor. (It ain't!) Rather thoroughly discussed here previously, a few times. I think calling it "the BIOX reaction" might be somethinbg of a misnomer, for one thing.

See:

http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/biofuel/35434/

http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/BIOFUEL/35449/

Check the links in those posts.