To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2005 12:13 AM
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] Pre transesterification with heterogen catalyst

Dear Iwan,

In my opinion, you got soap because significant FFA still present in the
CPO.

You may either do the following two alternatives:
1. You may remove the free fatty acid in Crude Palm Oil by reacting with
NaOH and separate the soap using a centrifuge, do the transesterification
reaction and wash the products with warm water to remove glycerol, some
methanol and NaOH. You may use physical process of deacidification of CPO,
but I don't think it will be suitable for a lab scale experiment as it needs
high vacuum and relatively high temperature of operation and off course
availability of heating media such as steam or heating oil.

2. You may carry out esterification of Free fatty acid using Acid Catalyst
such as H2SO4, followed by Transesterification of triglycerides in CPO using
base catalyst. The rest, you may do the usual step by washing the products
with warm water and recover methanol using distillation and further
purification of your glycerol.
We have tried the method in our pilot plant (1.5 tonnes per day) in PUSPITEK
Serpong Indonesia, and it works well for the CPO feed stock that
characteised by high FFA content. I will leave it up to you the exact amount
of catalysts and methanol .

Good Luck,

Arie Rahmadi
Senior Engineer