With respect to the US contribution to the European theater consider that at Stalingrad the German losses were 300,000 and the Russian 400,000 and Stalingrad was a battle that the Russians won! At Kursk the Germans lost 100,000 killed and wounded and the Russians 250,000 killed and 600,000 wounded. It was the largest armored battle prior to the 1967 Arab - Israeli war. The US involvement in the fighting in Europe was not pivotal to the outcome.

Rick

bmolloy wrote:

Hello Hakan,
                    Again with respect, it is not "well known" that the
Pacific losses in WW2 were greater than in Europe. If that is the case I'd
like to see your source for the statement. MacArthur was supreme commander
in the Pacfic. I have given you his total losses throughout his campaign
which ranged all the way from his starting point in Australia to the moment
he accepted the Japanese surrender in Tokyo Bay. I based these on figures
given my William Manchester, one of the most respected American biographers
of the postwar period. The precise wording of his  footnote, on page 639 of
the 1979 Hutchinson paperback edition "American Caesar - Douglas MacArthur,
reads "American casualties in the Bulge were 106,502. MacArthur's 90,437".
The item to which this footnote refers reads: "The Battle of the Bulge (a
four week break-out by German armoured columns under General Von Rundsted in
the Ardennes beginning December 16, 1944, and ending January 16, 1945)
...resulted in as many American casualties as were sustained in th entire
Southwest Pacfic area campaign from Australia to Tokyo."
To look at a couple of single battles in Europe. At the battle of Anzio in
Italy, where the Allies fought for nearly four months (January 22 to May 25,
1943) to secure a beachhead that placed them only 37 miles from Rome, the
total American, i.e. not Allied, casualties were 72,306 GIs. In the battle
of Normandy - June 6 to July 31, 1944 - Eisenhower lost 28,366 GIs.
The bottom line is that American losses in Europe were many, many times
those in the Pacific.
Please don't tell me that these figures are no indication. They are exact
battlefield totals. I have given your chapter and verse for my sources. If
you have figures to the contrary I would be very pleased to hear them, and
of course the source.
Regards,
Bob.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Hakan Falk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>