>"Enhanced" mutation?
>
>How do the authors define "enhanced," relative to their
>particular practice?
>
>That is where the answer lays. Not in any of our perceptions or
>interpretations of what "enhanced" means.
>
>Todd Swearingen

Hi Todd

It's an uncorrected scan, not easy to read, but it looks like all
they did was mutation. I think the "enhanced" bit came from Harry,
not from the authors. They've certainly got the hots for GM but it
looks like they didn't do it.

It's not much of a study, IMO. Using Cuphea oil, which they were
unable to harvest anyway so they used an analogue of it in their
tests, made up of various short-chain fatty acids to simulate Cuphea
oil, excluding various fatty acids below a certain proportion (whence
the cut-off point?). And compared that with a commercial formulation,
Captex 355:
http://www.abiteccorp.com/355.pdf

They're enthusiastic about their results (of course), but it seems it
didn't work very well - crystallization problems eg, and this they
felt might be solved by genetic manipulation "or winterization". LOL!

It all looks rather marginal, as is Cuphea itself. And, as Harry
said, based on a misconception that transesterification is costly.
Transesterification is obviously economically and generally feasible,
so it seems to me you'd have to reach the end of quite a few rather
long roads before what's suggested here became remotely interesting.
One of those roads would be the large number of existing oil plants
which have hardly been investigated yet, or not at all, as well as
traditional methods of breeding and trait enhancement, short of GM
and its risks (and costs). How would this stuff, all problems solved,
be superior to, say, jatropha or honge oil as-is? Both of which fit
in well with sustainable farming practices, agro-forestry, indigenous
systems, etc, and aren't expensive freaks that you'd have to raise in
a chemicalised cocoon.

I guess they got their names on a published paper, makes their CVs
look better. Maybe the hints at GM make it seem more topical.

Best

Free $5 Love Reading
Risk Free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/3PCXaC/PfREAA/Ey.GAA/9bTolB/TM