G'day Steve

>G'day Keith,
>It's Steve Hobbs here. I have only two pieces of reference for my work.
>
>1 - My humble 18 year old Nissan ute that has now travelled 7000 kms on a 40%
>cold pressed BD & dino diesel mix and appears in all respects to be
>travelling fine (perhaps even better that fine, engine rattle has
>substantially reduced, cold starts improved, reduced "smoke", etc..the ute is
>due to have injectors removed and inspected by an impartial party)

:-) The usual happy biodieseller, with a happy-sounding ute! Tell us
about the inspection when it happens, will you?

>2 - I've had a sample of coldpressed BD analysised for fatty acid
>composition, which I guess would give an idea of the quality of the fuel by
>what fatty acids are and aren't present in my fuel.
>If you could Keith, I'd be interested to compare the fatty acid composition
>of my farm made cold pressed BD to commercially produced BD to see how the
>quality stacks up.
>So, here is the analysis
>
>C16:0    C18:0    C18:1    C18:2    C18:3    C20:0    C20:1    C22:0
> 3.90      4.83      80.54     9.29      0.00       0.37      0.00      1.07
>
>If you could provide me with a commentary on the quality of my fuel, it would
>be appreciated.

I think Camillo gave you the answer there (phew!). You might find
comparisons with raw oils interesting though, fatty acid contents
here:

http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_meth.html
How much methanol?

More here:
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_yield.html
Vegetable oil yields, characteristics

>Regards
>
>Steven
>

> >snip, snip, snip,etc
>
>Keith Addison wrote:
>
> > >When compared with the costs of
> > >refining vegetable oils by degumming, neutralisation, bleaching etc.,
> > >the cost of transesterifying raw oils is not; or should not be;
> > >excessive. Steve Hobbs has shown that the transesterification (with
> > >washing)of raw oil effectivelty removes the contaminants.
> >
> > I've seen various conflicting statements about that. Do you have a
> > reference for Steve Hobbs's work?

All settled now, good - thanks to Harry, Steve and Camillo.

regards

Keith

> > Best wishes
> >
> > Keith