Hello Paul

You settle it with acetic acid? I think the resultant FFAs just
dissolve back into the biodiesel then.

>Mix the lime into the WVO/BD and heat with occasional stirring to 100 deg C.
>The lime appears to dissolve in WVO as heated but is probably just held in
>suspension.
>Cool decant and filter. No problems with ammount of lime just use excess.

Thanks Paul, I'll try that. But this caustic refining step is so easy
I'm quite satisfied with it, and there's no need for heat, for
filtering, or for anything you haven't already got.

"... just use excess" - about how much per litre?

>Would much rather go acid/base with feedstock with FFA content this high,

Sure, as I said, but a lot of people don't do acid-base. Also,
acid-base doesn't like this particular oil, it has a lot of salt in
it (tempura oil). Hot pre-washing solves that problem, but that then
makes the acid-base process a lot more trouble than this, and a lot
more energy use, so you're left to choose between much more time and
hassle for the acid-base advantages, or a quick and easy way like
this, and there's not much in it. Especially since I think recovered
FFAs are useful, not wastage. You're not using more methanol, the
extra lye isn't expensive, so it's really just some extra phosphoric,
no big deal, as against no sulphuric.

>less wastage/recovery

"It's an alternative - better than straight single-stage base for oil
like this, and while it won't get as a high a production rate as
acid-base, and it uses more catalyst and gives you more co-products,
it's very quick and simple, and the product is good."

>and acid stage allows alcohols other than methanol or
>ethanol to be used. Isopropanol for instance has the potential to reduce
>cloudpoint.

Have you tried the acid-base process with isopropynol? That'll make
branched alkyl esters, low cloud-point yes, but I don't know of
anyone that's had any success with isopropynol or butyl other than
with enzymes, though I do know people who've tried. Reference
previously posted in "Cracking" thread, Foglia et al, for instance.
Pressure maybe.

Best wishes

Keith

>Regards,   Paul Gobert