Paul:

I tried slaked lime on some of our high FFA crude palm
oil and had similar results to Keith. Leaving it
overnight to settle gave me only about 15% recovery of
the oil.

Part of the problem is the very high viscosity of our
CPO which is rather like mayonnaise even at 30 degC.
Things just don't settle in this goo unless you heat
the brew.

Terry's suggestion of quicklime has some merit because
it takes the water out of the gloop as it esterifies
the FFA but it still has such a low density that it
doesn't settle for us. We probably need barium oxide
or maybe something made from spent nuclear fuel rods!

Keith:

For the same reason, we find your cold NaOH treatment
won't work for us. In fact our yellowy-orange
mayonnaise turns into engine grease when we mix in the
NaOH solution at 30 degC. Mind you, this crude palm
oil (CPO) titrates at 18.5 ml 0.025M NaOH/(ml of
oil)and contains MANY STRANGE THINGS from the palm-nut
kernel oil also in there. (I shouldn't be surprised if
it is quietly polymerising!) Right now I am holding a
litre of it (treated with 18.5 gms of NaOH dissolved
in 10 mls of water) at 80 degC in the oven just to see
if anything settles out overnight.

Regards

Michael Allen
Thailand