Hi Keith,

--- Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello Michael

> >And I think it is also thumbs up for Alek's
> >esterification-transesterification process with the
> >same CPO. (At least with a few local
> modifications).
> >Right now, the brew is in its finishing stages down
> in
> >the lab. I'll let you know how it goes.
>
> How did it go?

A little perplexing. It worked quite well  . . . on
that occasion. But efforts to simplify the process
have failed. It seems that someone out there keeps
shifting the goal posts! Perhaps we did not note down
a critical value or two . . . . . . .

I think we have a time-temperature-concentration
problem where several side reactions are possible. I
also think we have established that there must always
be excess methanol present so if temperatures rise to
70C,  . . . . well we must be in trouble. And we find
tht there are several products which will be quite
stable at 70C . . . . shower-gel, shampoo, hard soap .
. . .

Incidentally, the identical process as gives trouble
with 9% FFA works very well with 2.6% FFA CPO's

We are still working on the problem.

But thanks to you, we now have a relatively simple
process which can be applied commercially (even if the
losses are substantial). I refer to your
saponification-transesterification proces (S=>T ??).
For us, this process has the added advantage that it
provides some feedback to the CPO producers about the
excessive amounts of FFA they are producing. Much of
this XS can be avoided by proper plant management
anyway. It is also a simple extension of the process
they already carry out to reduce FFA in their product
(so why doesn't that produce the necessary feedback
????)

> Bad news. That's what Aleks was saying about
> stearin. He doesn't want
> to have anything to do with it.

And yet, perhaps due to its low FFA, we get a great
product from palm-oil stearin. (We use the simple
transesterification process). The product is still
running that locomotive from Hadyai to Sungei Golok
and back each day. But one early batch was "a tad
crook" as my southern hemisphere friends might say.
Incomplete reaction caused stearin to precipitate out
and block the loco fuel filters. Not too serious but
caused a premature oil filter change.

The trick with stearin is to keep the temperature
close to (or above) 65C. A cunning ploy is to
introduce the methoxide into the bottom of a deep
reactor. The hydrostatic pressure keeps the methanol
liquid for a while and, as it boils, it exposes a much
larger surface area to the oil. But a condenser is a
useful addition to such a reactor anyway. We are now
exploring a total reflux system in which the condensed
methanol is pumped back to the bottom of the reactor
rather than just letting it trickle back to the top
surface.

> Regards
>
> Keith

And to you