>Hello;
>
>Good point about third world...
>
>I can see the time when bio diesel will be marketed as
>a 'super' fuel and will priced accordingly--simple
>marketing dynamics. The only ones who will be able to
>afford it will be the very poor through aid programs
>or the well-to-do.
>
>I base this on my belief that raw fuel stocks such as
>WVO will become commodities-especially by the bigger
>chains McDonald'scDonalds-that can improve the
>profitability of restaurants.
>
>Oil is big business and when its demise comes bio
>diesel will be big business.  My advise to the small
>producers is enjoy the present and be prepared to be
>eaten by the sharks( via buy outs or other less
>pleasant means).
>
>Best Regards
>
>Alex Landels

Lots been written here about the potential of local-niche production
and much besides. There are many local-type scenarios where the big
guys won't be able to compete, not just on a price basis, there are
often other factors at work. Growth in at least some of these areas
is already quite rapid. On-farm production, especially from
integrated farms rather than monocroppers, is another such case, also
growing rapidly. Costs can be essentially zero, and direct costs
aside, on-farm economics will tend to keep outside stuff outside, no
benefit.

It doesn't just depend on WVO availability, though that's a few
billion gallons a year in the US. In most industrialized countries
collection levels are about 10%. It's unlikely to be optimized, no
matter how valuable it gets or how much the Big Guys might be after
it, unless collection starts at the local level, at point of
production. This applies to virtually all waste recycling. And it
leaves plenty of scope for small-scale operators and DIYers who're
also working at that level. Take a closer look at some of the things
in Mark's post about local-level initiatives.

Much also been written about Big Biodiesel, and people expecting to
be brushed aside when the time comes. There could already be too much
local stuff going on for that to happen quite so easily. If the
sharks come too close they could get torn to pieces by piranhas.

For a comparison, local farmers' markets and CSAs are growing apace,
and there's absolutely nothing that big agribiz interests can do
about it, much as I'm sure they'd like to. The USDA organic standards
a few posts have mentioned were such an attempt, but very many real
organic farms have simply opted out and continue dealing with their
local markets without any problems. This is also capitalism at work,
you know - more so than big, centralized corporatism is, and it's
more American anyway.

Best

Keith

Biofuels at Journey to Forever