Keith mentioned something that I think needs to be emphisized is that the
collection rates for WVO is rather low, and within that low collection
percentage only a certain amount is actually recycled into something
valuable.  Thus although the big FF chains might do a BD venture
themselves (more as a greenwash campaingn) or work with some large BD
processors (for a commodity fee), on the whole there is a zillion small
hole-in-the-wall resturantes that will work with a homebrewer/small
producer for free removal of the WVO.  I personally know of many.

;-)

Also, remember that the focus for the large processor is time == money, so
that the faster they can process and get a vialable product without having
to jump through too many hoops, that is the dirction they will go.
Paying for SVO for them makes the process go smoother without all the
titration hassle, and with a consistant feedstock it also insures a
consistant fuel.  And consistancy is a good marketing tool ("With OUR fuel
you won't have to worry about damage to your engine" ....)  Both of those
areas are time and money issues. For the homebrewer time/money issue are a
moot point as it is more a hobbie thing. And for the small producer Keith
mentioned that local collection and production will beat out long distance
distrubution in price, even if the economics of scale are better for the
large producer.

James Slayden

List messages are archived at the Info-Archive at NNYTech: