Dear Todd,

I'm glad Samai pulled you up on all that circumlocution and persiflage!
That'll larn you! You have a huge audience out here in the Real World (which
for some
reason you all insist on calling the Third World ------ it isn't of course
------- we sadly only
have this One World to stuff up). Now I'm pretty sure that you were just trying
to say Keep
it Simple (KISS?) and I entirely agree with you.

Craig,
Todd is correct that there is a possible penalty in going "high tech".
Here are a couple of ideas for you to think over:
1) The depth of the interface between the methyl ester and the water is pretty
constant
because it depends on the rate of molecular diffusion between the two
materials. As a
consequence, a silo design of separator has a much smaller volume of
ester/water
emulsion than does a swimming pool design. So your overall inventory of the
mixture is
greater in a swimming pool which may mean that your overall yield is
substantially
reduced. It can also be more difficult to find a sharp interface in a vessel
with a large
aspect ratio (such as a swimming pool). One solution is to accumulate any
interface or
suspect material in a slops unit where it can be subsequently separated. But
the size of
the slops unit obviously depends on that inventory.

2) Octyl sebacate, nonyl phthalate and several other esters of fatty acids are
used to
plasticise PVC and other vinyl products. While methyl stearate and palmitate
may not
actually attack vinyl, they may very well make them swell and so weaken the
vinyl
mechanically. You are very wise to carry out tests but you should be aware that
it may
take years to complete them satisfactorily.

So I think Todd is right on the button when he suggests you should design a
containment
system to cover a split in your vinyl swimming pool.

Tom,
To return to your original question, both Westfalia and Alfa-Laval make
centifuges for
separating oils from water. They are available in a variety of sizes as you
will see if you
have a look at westfalia.com and alfalaval.com (I think they are the right
addresses but a
quick GoogleSearch will find them). Both companies are also most helpful in
testing
actual samples of your material and "fine tuning" their equipment to meet your
requirements.

However you may be somewhat taken aback by the price: The reason is that these
things whirl around at several thousand rpm and need exact machining and
balancing for
them to work safely. Centrifuges are much smaller than swimming pools and have
a high
throughput. But they have the lowest running costs only when they are running
continuously.

If you like to post a process flow diagram, I may be able to come up with some
further
suggestions

Best wishes

Michael Allen