Hi MM

Not really. Mike Jureidini said this at Biofuels-biz:

>Following some pretty serious scaremongering over the past few
>months, the oil companies have launched an intense campaign at the
>service station level to denigrate the use of ethanol in the Greater
>Sydney/Wollongong Basin.
>
>The tactics being employed are similar to those used by the oil
>majors in the U.S.over twenty years ago. Currently BP, Shell, Caltex
>and Woolworth's are running "no ethanol in our petrol" type ads at
>badged service stations.

Fred Enga pointed us at this, which is now in our library:

A complete report covering all of the applications of ethanol in
gasoline, in new and used engines: ERDC Project No 2511 Intensive
Field Trial of Ethanol/Petrol Blend in Vehicles. This trial showed no
harm to any engines, and documented the benefits. This is the
Executive Summary, compliments of Apace Research Ltd -- 10 pages,
32kb Acrobat file.
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/EthanolApace.PDF

Mark Matthews is trying to set things straight with the film he's making.

It's confused, and confused further by allegations of buddy deals at
the top level, so the journalists smell a scandal and ethanol's
taking "collateral" damage. The Sydney Morning Herald yarn I posted
about a week back put it in the same bracket as "contaminated petrol"
and "unscrupulous operators", with scary stuff about suppressed
reports of engine damage. This current story's a bit saner:

"While no one claimed 10 percent ethanol blends have an adverse impact
on engines, early testing with one type of marine two-stroke engine
found stalling may occur when the throttle is opened from low speed,
even with a 10 percent blend, creating a possible safety hazard, Kemp
said."

Big deal, eh? So motorists must be "protected". Stark contrast with
other countries' experiences (Brazil, South Africa, Zimbabwe). I'm
sure Mike's right, he's on the spot.

Best

Keith

Biofuels at Journey to Forever