You know, while it may be true that Californians have practiced and
studied some good conservation principles, I also think David has a
point.  Back when I was taking some hard look at America's overall
energy usage, home heating oil is a very significant part of that
usage.  Sometimes the statisticians will break out home heating oil
from other statistics because it can tend to skew our understanding.

Home heating oil is, I think, not as important in some parts of the
country.

We do have heating and cooling needs here in San Diego, but it is
somewhat a matter of degree and location.  By the ocean, it is cooler
and one doesn't need A/C as much.  Further inland A/C could be more
important, it can get *very* hot in some areas, but it is dry here and
not like some of the more humid extreme-heat situations.

As to energy needs during cool periods, it is important to have heat,
but obviously not as important nor as demanding on the energy supply
as in a climate that often goes well below freezing, such as one finds
in other parts of the country.

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003 01:16:48 +0100, you wrote:

>Hi David,
>
>The fact is that California during many years have a very active
>program for saving of energy. This is the reason, because if you
>look at other states in US, with similar climate conditions, they
>are at average or above average. Of course, a lot is AC in those
>states, very much offices. If you look at statistics over the years
>and growth, you can clearly see that it is man made savings.
>
>California is the state that is and has been the most active state
>in US, when it comes to energy conservation and pollution. We
>had many exchange students and visiting professors from California
>in the Swedish universities.
>
>Still the Californian use twice as much energy as the average Swede.
>But they are best in the US after Hawaii, which is definitely determined
>by the climate.
>
>Hakan
>

>At 06:55 PM 1/23/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>>Re:
>>Californians 50%
>>
>>I don't want to step on a good thing, but is it 50% because of the climate,
>>or 50% because Californians are
>>different or more energy conscious?
>>
>>My gfather lives in San Diego.  He almost never has to turn the heat on,
>>ever.  He only uses AC on the
>>hotest of days.. perhaps 5 days if that.
>>
>>Contrast that to my coast, and its cold cold cold in the winter.. and hot
>>and muggy in the summer where you
>>might leave the AC in the car on while you tkae a shower and get ready for
>>your date..lest you get all sweaty before you AC can
>>cool your car.  <not everyone owns a garage>
>>

>>So i dont really like the 50% one..
>>
>>on the other hand.. THIS ONE
>>http://energy.saving.nu/biofuel-sticker-3.jpg
>>
>>is absolutely hilarious.   and gives you the secondary point of committing
>>suicide on your dependence on the pump.
>>
>>funny..  :)
>

>Biofuels at Journey to Forever
>Biofuel at WebConX