> > Fuel efficiency came a long way since then, but the relative difference
> > between US and European vehicles seams to be the same.
 --------

 My memory must be slipping because I don't recall
 Ford or General Motors having something similar
 to a VW Lupo 3L (78 mpg US) or the VW 1L (235 mpg US)
 or a 50 year Shell Mileage Marathon sponsored by
 US oil companies or maybe they do in Europe or elsewhere.

 It looks to me this 49cc Replicar Cursor 26 mph,
 90 mpg imperial is an example of a covered moped.
 http://www.3wheelers.com/cursor.html
 Are there many other types around Europe or the world?