Sorry to butt in on your question, but I've eaten a (mostly) vegetarian diet since about 1970. The key to avoiding protein deficiency is to eat grains in combination with legumes. (Brown rice and black beans are a personal favorite.) Eating a wide variety of foods is essential, especially vegetables and fruits. I don't care for "analogs" (the Morningstar Farms patties, gluten glumps and other "textured vegetable proteins") and don't understand why people need to eat them. The less "prepared" your food is when you buy it, the easier it will be to sustain health without supplements.

I eat cheese, drink milk with my spicy Indian tea (Food Miles Alert!!!) and consume the occasional egg (though I don't like them) and fish (if there's nothing else, or if I crave it, which probably indicates a B vitamin deficiency) without any health related difficulties, aside from those related to "normal" aging, like the arthritis in my hands and knees.

Eat well and exercise. If you want to avoid meat, be smart about it, but PLEASE don't insist that everyone else conform to your diet!

If you REALLY want to be subversive, grow a garden. We had fresh peas two days ago, and I can attest that nothing tastes as flavorful as produce straight from the garden to the kitchen and the dinner table!

robert luis rabello
"The Edge of Justice"
Adventure for Your Mind
http://www.authorhouse.com/BookStore/ItemDetail.aspx?bookid=9782>