Hallo Kim,

Thursday, 28 July, 2005, 08:20:54, you wrote:

GKT> Greetings,

GKT> First I would like to say good luck on your new venture. Have you
GKT> read  the  entire small farms library at JTF? It is a great place
GKT> to start.

GKT> Are  you aware of just how much land 15 hectares is? To farm that
GKT> much land, you are going to need some serious equipment. That is,
GKT> if  you  plan  on  doing  it  sustainably.  You  would be running
GKT> thousands  of  chickens  and  hundreds of pigs in order to create
GKT> enough manure to bring back depleted land.

Fifteen  hectares  is  less  than 40 acres of land. Serious equipment?
Depends  on  how "serious" is defined. The Amish in our area have done
wonders  with  marginal  land although it has taken them time to bring
the  land  back into full production and perhaps more importantly they
have  a  community  to  rely  on  until  the  farms  do  become  fully
productive.  It  must  be kept in mind also that the Amish do not farm
with  the  aim  of making a profit they farm with the aim of providing
for  their family, but they do make a small profit. Back in the 80's I
was  talking  with  an Amish friend with 8 kids. He made almost $3,000
profit  that year. But, he raised most of his own food including meat,
milk,  eggs,  veggies  and raised all of the feed for his animals. The
three grand was used to buy what he couldn't produce himself including
cloth  and  thread  to  make clothing. Also, they are diverse in their
planting  and  their  livestock  as well. Monoculture is not what they
practice.   Another   thing  which  needs  defining  is  "profit"  and
"sustainable".  We  may  differ  in our definitions and believe we are
speaking  of the same thing. Three grand would not be "profit" to some
while it is an abundance to others.

For starters, one person with a team of decent horses can handle 60-80
acres. A team of horses produces manure. One cow will produce milk and
calves  and  at  least  40  pounds  of manure daily. Crop rotation and
planting  for  soil,  water and weed conditions is a must. Make use of
your  county  agent  (if they have ag agents in Uruguay) and check out
the Small Farmer's Journal. What you are talking about is possible but
you  don't  want  to  walk into it blindly or with unreal expectations
like the hippies did in the 60's. It will be hard work for short bucks
and  a  lot  of  sacrifice and making do. You have to learn to do more
with  less.  If  you go into it looking only to survive you should, if
you are smart, learn how to live. Do remember though, the Amish have a
community  on  which  to  rely and you will be on your own. If I sound
discouraging  then good, because unless you have the will and are well
prepared  you  will  fail.  I  have  seen  many  people  who  love the
"lifestyle"  of  plain  people  falter  and  fail because they are not
willing  to  sacrifice  what  they consider their simple pleasures and
conveniences and are hardly prepared for the work involved.

GKT> The  real  beauty  of  sustainable farming is how little land you
GKT> need  to raise enough food for several families. I do belive that
GKT> the  quoted  figures  are  1  hectare for a family of 6, and that
GKT> includes income.

Yes, this is one kind of sustainable, I certainly agree.

GKT> Assuming that you understand the above, then I would suggest that
GKT> you  look into breeds. Many of the old endangered breeds are best
GKT> for  sustainable farming. For example: Tamworth pigs. These are a
GKT> smaller  bacon  pig,  not a lard pig. They do not survive factory
GKT> farming and being enclosed and are therefore endangered, but they
GKT> are  a fabulous pasture pig. They live in the pasture, year round
GKT> in  snowy  areas  and in the heat. And they are no more expensive
GKT> than good breeding stock of any other breed. The trick is to know
GKT> what  the  challenges of your area are and to pick stock that can
GKT> thrive  where  you  are.  Then,  you don't have all the expensive
GKT> medicines and upkeep that factory farmers put up with.

The Tamworth is a great hog.  Very friendly and also disease resistant
and  hardy.   As  for  prices it depends on where you buy.  If you buy
feeders  from  a farmer you will get normal feeder prices.  If you buy
feeders from a rare/minor breed conservancy type you will get screwed.
I  bought  registered  Tamworth feeders from a farmer for $50 each and
the next closest price was $350 from the conservancy people.

GKT> The other thing to look at is what is your feed going to? While I
GKT> know  that  you  don't  want  to  do cattle, they are the easiest
GKT> explanation of what I mean. When comparing live weight to dressed
GKT> weight,  if  you  can  find  animals that can hit 60% of the live
GKT> weight  in  dressed  weight,  then  your feed has been well used.
GKT> Dexter  is  an  excellent  example of this kind of cattle. But if
GKT> your  dressed  weight  is  only  40%,  then your feed has gone to
GKT> growing  something  that  is  in the waste stream and this is not
GKT> profitable.

You  are absolutely correct.  The trick is to waste nothing.  Learning
to  butcher at home is also beneficial particularly if you are raising
hogs.   Knowing  when to butcher is also essential.  The 60% guideline
is  handy  but  it  also  depends on what you are after.  If you waste
nothing,  do  your own butchering, use every bit of milk sensibly (you
can  feed  hogs  with  excess  milk  you know which I don't consider a
waste)  then  40%  may not be bad for you.  You may consider the trade
off to be even.

GKT> The  most  important  thing, unfortunately is regulations. How do
GKT> you  get to market with your animals? What costs of processing do
GKT> you have to pay? What will the government let you do?

Dealing  with the government is always stick as far as I am concerned.
There  are  ways  around  this  though.   In  our area there are local
farmers sales every Saturday at the county fairgrounds where all sorts
of  live  animals  are  sold as well as produce, eggs, farm equipment,
etc.   There  is  also  an  auction  there  every week in which nearly
everything is sold.

If  one  uses  the animals for subsistance or sells them live there is
not a problem.  Selling vegetables can be more profitable than selling
crops  which are better for supporting ones livestock.  An acre or two
of well planned and kept garden is worth its weight in gold.

Study  those  who  are  making  it, define your terms and goals and be
specific in this, decide what you are able to live without and what is
important in your life and then talk to as many people as possible who
are  doing  what  you  want  to  do  and then make your decision.  Get
informed.   We raised 3 kids and bought and paid for our place on less
than  $10,000 a year.  I came out of the Nam disabled and when my wife
and I were married we lived on $370 a month of which $100 came off the
top  for  rent.  You can do it but you have to make some hard choices,
particularly  in  the  beginning.   There  is  a lot of "make do or do
without".  Never stop learning and never stop helping others to learn.

I  haven't  been to Uruguay since the 60's and don't know if they have
any  plain people there.  I know there are Amish and Mennonites in the
Central/South  American  region  but  I don't remember where.  Perhaps
Hutterites  as  well  but again I am not sure.  If there are any plain
people  there  get in touch with them.  Unfortunately I didn't make it
out  of Montevideo area.  Beautiful country and great people.  I loved
it there.  Truth be told I loved it everywhere.  It is a beautiful and
wonderful and interesting world we live in despite our troubles.

Happy Happy,

Gustl
PS-Never  buy anything new which you don't absolutely have to when you
can  get  something  used but entirely suitable. Buy quality tools and
equipment.  The  price  of one quality piece of gear will be less than
the many cheap ones you will have to replace.

--
Je mehr wir haben, desto mehr fordert Gott von uns.
********
We can't change the winds but we can adjust our sails.
********
The safest road to Hell is the gradual one - the gentle slope,
soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones,
without signposts.
C. S. Lewis, "The Screwtape Letters"
********
Es gibt Wahrheiten, die so sehr auf der Straße liegen,
daß sie gerade deshalb von der gewöhnlichen Welt nicht
gesehen oder wenigstens nicht erkannt werden.
********
Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't
hear the music.
George Carlin
********
The best portion of a good man's life -
His little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and of love.
William Wordsworth