Congratulations Stelios, I think you made a wise decision on your thesis
work. It looks like you will be in demand.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>Dear Prof Allen, Keith, et Al
>
>With your help i made my dream possible.
>I received my MSc in Environmental Engineering, and my diploma is titled:
>Process development for biodiesel production from waste edible oils and quality
>control of the produced alternative fuel.

Is there an electronic version of your thesis you could share with us?
In english hopefully?

>My achivement however which i am really proud of is that i received three
>awards
>and 2 grants in national level (Greece), and i am waiting for another one which
>i replied lately in France. (very intereresting meeting opportunity to exchange
>ideas there www.innovact.com they have also a agro-meeting section)
>
>My research interest is now on reclaiming biodiesel byproducts ang i am
>considering the following: organic fertiliser(compost), natural antioxidants
>(polyphenols, mainly from used olive oil),tocopherols, biopolymers, metabolites
>of glycerol (e.x. lactic acid). I think these should be mentioned on the web
>site and i could  prepare something about these.

Although I have little time for real research, I also am looking at
other ways to reclaim byproducts, essentially the glycerol.
Etherification of glycerol yields 1,2,3 trimethoxy propane which could
be used as an oxygenated component for gasoline. Also reesterifcation of
the glycerol with propanoic or butanoic acid will produce a 12 or 15
carbon compound which could be added directly to the biodiesel, thus
increasing the overall yield of fuel from lipids. Of course the big
question is, is it energy/cost effective.

good luck

--
Bob Allen
http://ozarker.org/bob

"Science is what we have learned about how to keep
from fooling ourselves" — Richard Feynman