Uh.  Passing other vehicles?  My first car was an old subaru that took
several miles to hit 70mph on the highway.  I don't think I'll be
disapointed by a diesel rabbit.

But seriously, if the average automobile engine nowadays has 40% more
power than it needs for cruising at the speed limit (my estimate),
just for passing and accelerating, how much gas are we wasting just
because we are obsessed with the "bigger better" syndrome.  It's
pretty amazing what the new diesel cars can do, while still getting
50mpg, compared to the old diesel cars -- double or triple the power.
But imagine if they had focussed on increasing the gas mileage instead
of just increasing the power for the last 15 years.  The Lupo TDI is a
possible example of this.  Even the new hybrids get lousy gas mileage,
because the hybrid design is optimized for adding power, not
increasing mileage like the insight and prius were.  As a culture,
we'd be better off if we'd stop being so impatient with everything
anyway and just relax.  Not only would we use less gas, but maybe have
less hypertension and heart disease too.

I admit that there is a legitimate safety arguement that having some
reserve power is good.  But that arguement can rapidly turn into an
arms race to the bottom (e.g. SUV's) if we aren't careful.  Plus, it's
so tempting to speed if your car has the power to do so.  Which
probably wipes out the safety advantage of having reserve power, and
uses even more gas.