You know... I hate it when I'm right.   I was right about Iraq, and
more and more it appears I may have been right about global warming
too....

IF we have reached the tipping point where catastrophic effects from
global warming are unavoidable, even if we completely stopped CO2
emissions right now, then does it become more or less urgent to cut
emissions?  It seems like at the tipping point, the incremental cost
of emissions becomes much less and global warming actually does become
something that we can't do anything about.  In that case, perhaps a
massive public works project to move cities, redesign our
transportation system, revamp architecture, etc, becomes in order.
This will require using alot of fossil fuels (because there is no
other current source capable of doing this massive project), but it
could be argued that, if indeed we have reached a tipping point, that
preventing global warming is moot, and we should do whatever we can to
deal with the effects of global warming.  There are other reasons to
cut fossil fuel use besides global warming (societal, global equity,
peak oil, local pollution, etc), but perhaps we've already done the
damage on the global warming front.  Rush Limbaugh actually had a
point on this -- he said that everyone in New Orleans switching to
wind power or driving a prius wouldn't have helped save them once
Katrina entered the gulf.  Of course he then proceeded to use this as
evidence that global warming was a hoax.....

Of course,  what I think is more likely is that society as a whole
will continue to deny global warming until the very point it finally
takes them out.  Keep an eye on Rita.  I hear the gulf still has
really high surface temperatures....