Sen. Lieberman plans biofuel PHEV bill: legislative breakthrough
This is by far the most specific and far-reaching proposal to date.

--  Press release followed by news story:

-- Speech excerpts, outline of plan and full text of speech:
(WE ENCOURAGE YOU TO FORWARD)

EXCERPTS
This reality is bipartisan. My staff and I have spent as much time talking
about these proposals with Republicans as with Democrats. My colleagues
Senators Sam Brownback of Kansas and Evan Bayh of Indiana are particularly
interested in setting America free from foreign oil dependence. We are
ready to get serious, set the serious goals that eluded us in the past and
take the bold steps necessary to reach those goals.

... we get the flexibility to power a car with fuel made from corn, prairie
grass, or agricultural waste from our own heartland that will cost a lot
less than gasoline does today.... Making them flexible fuel cars, as I’ve
already said, can save us more than 2 million barrels of gasoline a day.

But we can do even better – dramatically better – with the plug-in hybrid
that is just now on the threshold of commercialization. ...Plugging in your
car during off peak hours –when power is in surplus and cheaper – would
soon just become part of the modern daily routine, like plugging in your
cell phone or PDA before you go to bed. And off-peak electricity can be the
equivalent of 50 cent a gallon gasoline.

This isn’t pie in the sky. These vehicles could be in your garage within a
couple of years. Some of the incentives for achieving this were included in
the Energy bill signed into law in August. But they did not go nearly far
enough. We need to couple these incentives with real performance standards
and sales requirements to ensure that as soon as possible new cars are
running not just on gasoline but on biofuels and electricity.

       Felix Kramer  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
      Founder  California Cars Initiative
             http://www.calcars.org
     http://www.hybridcars.com/blogs/power