Since the greywater portion of the heat exchanger must operate under
very the low pressure head of a gravity drain and still flow at an
adequate rate, it must be quite large in diameter.  It is essentially
a drain pipe and is no more likely to get clogged than any other drain
pipe.  Since the water is not standing in the heat exchanger but just
flowing through, it doesn't have the required gestation time for
significant biological growth -- just like most drain pipes don't grow
stuff, unless they have standing pools of stagnant water due to poor
slope design (hair going down the drain, or mineral deposits are
obviously a different issue).  Given that this heat exchanger is the
same diameter as any other drain plumbing, I don't see biological
fouling as a significant issue.

The heat exchanger path for the incoming cold water is indeed much
smaller with a higher pressure loss (usually, a small spiral tube
wrapped around the greywater drain pipe), however it is clean water,
and is no different than the heat exchanger for any on demand water
heater.

The effectiveness comes from the fact that showers are essentially
continuous flow systems with no time delay from inflow to outflow.
The exact time that hot water is flowing down the drain, is the same
time that incoming cold water is flowing through the outer tubes of
the heat exchanger.  They work very well under these conditions.  Uses
such as clothes washing, dishwashing, anything that involves drawing
hot water, using it for a while, then discharging it to the drain,
they have little effect on, since the hot water discharge does not
coincide with the cold water draw to the input of the water heater.
If showers use a significant portion of an average household's hot
water, then greywater heat reclamation would seem to make sense.

Zeke