Mike,
Have you shared your thoughts withe Guardian?  Or, on Mr. Monbiot's website?

Apparently, showing him the error of his ways doesn't stop him but emboldens him:
" The last time I drew attention to the hazards of making diesel fuel from vegetable oils, I received as much abuse as I have ever been sent for my stance on the Iraq war. The biodiesel missionaries, I discovered, are as vociferous in their denial as the executives of Exxon. I am now prepared to admit that my previous column was wrong. But they're not going to like it. I was wrong because I underestimated the fuel's destructive impact."

Do we have another Pimental on our hands, bad data and bad assumptions with absolutely NO solutions offered?

1450 kg per hectare seems low for rapeseed.

Jeffrey Dukes' article regarding replacing the energy content of oil per year can be found here:  (PDF)
http://globalecology.stanford.edu/DGE/Dukes/Dukes_ClimChange1.pdf

I think Monbiot takes his quote out of context and rambles from there with scare mongering.