$0.02
        Most SSRI's (prozac & friends) take 4 to 8 weeks to take effect -
many of these deaths are because the medication _isn't_ working yet.
That said, I believe there are studies showing that a good dose of
sunshine i.e. morning walks, are just as effective at treating
depression as the anti-depressants.  If you know someone who suffers
from depression is worth it to drag them out of bed in the morning
for several weeks to go walk for 15 min.

        If a depressed person doesn't have someone who will do that for
them, it's less expensive in this odd society/health care system to
take the pills.