mark manchester wrote:

> Quickly replying!  I love nettle tea, I grow nettles just so I can have
> fresh tea, and it's so good for you, iron and D and all that.  Or try making
> Pho with it, if you ever tire of beef or shrimp pho.  The chile sauce, "fish
> socks" (sauce of course, but it has a certain smelllllll), lime chunks, etc.
> that goes with traditional pho soup... this is a great application.

        I don't eat anything that had brown eyes and a mom, so no beef for
me!  Also, I stay away from bottom feeders.  I've never tried pho
before--it's a kind of Vietnamese noodle soup, is it not?

> I'm feeling sensitive because I just made my first batch of tea yesterday
> and have been basking in springtime.

        Ok, I'll take your word that it's healthy (it certainly LOOKS
healthy), but the water is FULL of bugs.  I suppose I could strain
them out, but I can't STAND the flavor of the tea.

> But Robert, ohmygawd, it never OCCURRED to me to eat the nettles!  Thanks!
> Just a light flip-fry, I suppose, maybe garlic.  Just like rapini?

        My sweetheart did a butter / olive oil / garlic stir fry in a really
hot pan for lunch.  It was delicious!  One of the nice things about
nettles is that they suppress appetite, so I'm feeling nice and
content right now.

        We're trying to cut out sweets and exercise more regularly.  Diabetes
runs in both our families, so we need to be careful that our body
masses don't creep up with age, and we'd would like our boys to grow
up eating more sensibly than is the case for most of the population in
our area.  Nettles grow wild around here, and they're VERY abundant
among the shaded, north-facing slopes rising above our subdivision.
We can only harvest them for a short time while they're tender, so NOW
is the time for us to cut nettles.  A friend, who goes on a walk every
day, takes a bag with her and fills one up every day.  In a two or
three week period of time, she collects enough to freeze for the year
and enjoys eating nettles in every season.

        I still can't bring myself to do a horsetail stir fry . . .  We hae
PLENTY of that around here too!

robert luis rabello
"The Edge of Justice"
Adventure for Your Mind