Hi Chris

>The way I see it, this new catalyst isn't environment friendly at all.
>So much energy is needed to pyrolyse sugar at 400 degrees centigrade for
>15 hours. On top of that, you need to heat it at 150 degrees with 200mL
>of concentrated sulfuric acid for another 15 hours. Then you need to
>wash it to remove the acid. So then where will the acid wash water go?
>Down the drain? Not to mention the fumes produced during the whole
>process.

Yes. Hot concentrated sulphuric acid lacks appeal.

>With 200mL of sulfuric acid you could have treated 200L of
>WVO. They say the new stuff is reusable but I'm pretty sure it is
>impossible to complete recover 100% of the catalyst after use.

I rather agree. You could use biodiesel for the heating, or
by-product maybe. But the fact remains.

Anyway it's not a new catalyst, it's just a different vehicle for
sulphuric acid, the same old catalyst of choice for acid
esterification.

Still I think it's worth investigating, though like Jim I'm also
sceptical about the transesterification.

They say it's as good as or better than the ordinary catalyst, but
they don't seem to claim any special properties for it. If it's
better than ordinary sulphuric maybe that's because they're using
more sulphuric. You can afford to if you're reusing it.

Full text of sugar catalyst paper
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/sugarcatalyst.pdf
304kb Acrobat file

Supplement:
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/sugarcatalystsupplement.doc
40kb MSWord file

>Supplementary Information
>
>Methods
>
>Preparation of carbon material
>20 g of D-glucose or sucrose powder was heated for 15 h at 400 °C
>under N2 flow to produce a brown-black solid. The solid was then
>ground to a powder and heated in 200 cm3 of conc. H2SO4 (>96%) or
>150 cm3 of fuming sulfuric acid (15 wt% SO3) at 150 °C under N2.
>After heating for 15 h and then cooling to room temperature, 1000
>cm3 of distilled water was added to the mixture to form a black
>precipitate. The precipitate was washed repeatedly in hot distilled
>water (>80 °C) until impurities such as sulfate ions were no longer
>detected in the wash water.
>
>Production of higher fatty acid esters
>Esterification of higher fatty acids was typically carried out at 80
>°C in an ethanol-oleic acid (C17H33COOH)) mixture (ethanol, 0.10
>mol; oleic acid, 0.010 mol) and ethanol-stearic (C17H35COOH) acid
>mixture (ethanol, 0.10 mol; stearic acid, 0.010 mol) under Ar. All
>tested catalysts except sulfuric acid were evacuated at 100-180 °C
>for 1 h prior to reaction to remove adsorbed water, and 0.2 g of
>each catalyst was used in the reactions. The liquid phase during
>reaction was analyzed by a gas chromatograph mass spectrometer with
>capillary columns. After the reaction for 4-10 h, the samples were
>recovered by simple decantation and were reused repeatedly for the
>reaction.

The table doesn't make sense in ASCII so I left it out, check the Word doc.

Manick wrote:

>... Also I do not believe sugar char is the ideal since we have not
>seen other chars,including activated carbon and silicas. Further
>progress is inevitable so let us all keep open mind.

I was thinking that too, charcoal or activated carbon wouldn't need
the first 15 hours. The report says: "Carbon catalysts identical to
those described here have also been successfully produced from
carbonized starch and cellulose (results
not shown)."

Silica is an interesting idea. We use rice husk ash as a refractory
material, but charred rice husk might work well. The Japanese use
charred rice husk for making bokashi (sort of inebriated compost),
though I don't think much of bokashi. Zeolyte has been made from rice
husk. What does sulphuric acid do to clay?

How would you get the sulphuric acid into a suitable medium without
all that heat?

Best

Keith