Who says that the PV cells have to be immersed in the oil?

If the modules were in the glass box and standing (more or less) upright, the oil coolant could simply be cascaded over the modules. Even if the oil had relatively high photoabsorption compared to water (for example), there would only be a thin film to penetrate.

Any thoughts?

Mike

Chip Mefford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hakan Falk wrote:
> Mike,
>
> Many of the high voltage transformers in
> electricity distribution are filled with oil for
> insulation and cooling purposes.
> In this case I
> belive it is mineral oils, but it is many years
> (40) since I worked with this and do not completely trust my memory.

They were,

and 40 years ago, they were filled with that marvelous compound
that did everything exactly right. Polychlorinatedbiphenol.

Great stuff all in all, just had one drawback