A quick search online and I found this about RIE etching of copper using
HCL gas.

http://yuekuo.tamu.edu/Rie.htm

Have a look at the 3rd SEM micrograph down which compares exposing
copper to HCL gas vs. HCL plasma.  The one on the right (plasma etch)
shows surface topography in the micron to sub micron range. this is the
condition I was looking for on my silicon etch experiments.  I have a
hunch that careful optimization of process parameters such as
temperature, pressure, plasma density, bias voltage, and perhaps the
introduction of a specific contaminant to the gas can result in
anisotropy and densification of these structures. This means that it
would not be necessary to sputter silicon to get my motheye film but it
could be etched directly on the copper pipe. As kirk pointed out copper
has low emissivity and if we can get 60% absorbance per hit it might be
really viable. :)

Joe