Sent: Monday, July 31, 2006 9:07 AM
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] Future car: What will you be driving?

1000 gallons methanol per acre with hemp if using pyrolytic distillation.

Kirk

Jason& Katie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

WHAT!?!?!?!?!?

> Could we replace all our oil with bio-fuels? Well... maybe. But it would
> be an extraordinary effort. A fifty-fifty mix of bio-diesel and ethanol
> would require putting three times the productive farm land in >Iowa toward
> nothing but the production of fuel just to match what we currently import.
> Make it five Iowas to solve the whole problem. Trouble is, that much farm
> land is not readily available. There's also >the little nit of figuring
> out what we eat while every scrap of land is busy working for our gas
> tanks.
> Naturally, if we combine bio-fuels with the two hoped for goals in regular
> cars -- more efficient engines and lighter weight vehicles -- we can
> shrink the requisite greenspace. Brazil, which generates >ethanol from
> sugar cane, has been systematically raising the amount of ethanol in their
> fuel supply, and Brazilian manufacturers have been adding small flex-fuel
> vehicles that can run on anything from E0 to >E100. Zap is bringing at
> least one of these vehicles to US consumers next year.

im all for the efficiency argument, but COME ON PEOPLE! doesnt anyone
believe in using something OTHER than corn and soy? they are NOT the best
feedstocks anyone could use for fuel! move to a better supply, not a higher
yield. this is ridiculous! if the supply was a high density stock the land
requirement would be porportionally lower.

for diesel replacement assume we used castor in the USA:
-oil yield would be roughly 151 gallons per acre compared to 48
gallons of soy oil.
-THEREFORE one acre of castor would eliminate the need for more
than 3 acres of soy.
which means those other 2 acres of new empty field could be
used for food or- OH NO! TREES!

for gasoline replacement assume we use sugarbeets (not very good, but more
climate friendly) in the USA:
-ethanol yield would be 412 gallons per acre compared to 214 gallons
of corn ethanol
-THEREFORE one acre of sugarbeets would eliminate the need for
1.9 acres of corn.
you see where im going with this?

by selective breeding of some of the more tropical varieties of high density
stock, we can slowly push the growing regions further north, increasing the
supply density, and lowering the acreage needed to supply the same amount.
WE DONT NEED CORN OR SOY FOR FUEL! i might be raving like an idiot, but
noone can seem to understand that corn and soy are not the only crops in the
world.

Jason
ICQ#: 154998177
MSN: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Do you Yahoo!?
dangerous content by Lao Telecom MailScanner with NOD32, and is
believed to be clean.