Thompson, Mark L. (PNB R&D) wrote:
> What is all this "Peak Oil" end of the world garbage.

Oil is a finite resource.  All that remains to debate is when we will "run
out" (and what the definition of that is).  I think things get ugly once
core demand exceeds production on a world scale.  Personally, I expect
that within my lifetime.  I think affordability will be a factor long
before oil is exhausted in a technical sense.

I trust you have read Deffeyes, Hubbert, ASPO, Simmons, etc. and have
evidence that debunks them.

> We have many decades if not 100+ years of conventional oil left.

Emmm, actually North America has about 5 years of conventional oil left,
if it were not for imports.  (6 if you include ANWR.)  Does your forecast
allow for increasing and accelerating rates of consumption year over year?
 Or does it assume flat consumption into the future, like the optimistic
government forecasts?

> We have huge amounts of Tar Sands (1.7 Trillion barrels) to exploit.

Actually, I doubt we can afford to do that.  The groundwater and natural
gas consumed in that processing will run out first.  If we use oil from
the oil sands to make more oil from the oil sands, my understanding is
that this is a losing proposition on an EROEI basis based on the exising
process and facilities (from oil sand to refined consumer product).

> We have potential 1000's of years worth of Methane-Hydrates available.

For which we currently do not have a viable technology in place as yet to
harvest them.  The implications of releasing that much methane into the
environment (leakage, losses, accidents), or even the carbon dioxide
resulting from using it do not bode well for habitability of the planet
for humans in the long term.  Perhaps you plan to use this methane to
support the production of oil from the oil sands.

> Estimated to be greater than twice the world total of oil.
> We have almost limitless Nuclear energy potential through the use of
> Breeder, Light water and Heavy water reactors.

And no solutions in place on how to deal with the spent fuel on a
permanent basis, well, other than putting them into weapons, be they
nuclear weapons, depleted uranium in artillery shells, or dirty bombs.
Even France is having second thoughts about the breeder cycle.

> Not to mention the other - Wind - Water - Solar - BioFuels - etc.

Now we're getting to sustainable solutions.

> All of which are up and coming. The higher energy cost go up the more
> pressure there will be on "Alternate" sources.

Do you think we have enough time to implement these solutions on a mass
scale before oil and natural gas shortages, even intermittent ones, are
disrupting the technological infrastructure that underpins western
"civilization"?  Alberta has just put a road-block in front of further
wind development in the province.  The U.S. federal government is actively
working against the Cape wind project.  However, billions are being spent
on green-washing coal.

> As said before "Everything changes." All we need to do is plan for then
> and adapt.

There are limits to adaptation.  Extinction is also an option.  If the
average temperature on the planet's surface rises dramatically, we won't
last long.  Humans don't survive long when exposed to temperatures above
40 degrees C for extended periods.

> Go for it Anti-Carbon Crusaders, I see it coming.

If we render the planet's surface uninhabitable for humans, where do you
suggest we go?  Space travel for 8 billion humans plus some life support
strikes me as a rather energy intensive proposition.

Darryl