Hello Pannir and Keith,

     Pannir has indicated that he is interested the use of ethanol instead of
methanol to make ethyl esters because methanol is not readily available in some
developing countries.

     While methanol is available to me, my supplier just quoted a price of
$4.41/gal (USD) for 54 gal drums (vs $2.60/gal last June). Price fluctuations,
the carbon footprint of methanol vs ethanol use, and the possibility of further
restrictions on methanol sales to individuals, makes ethanol a tempting
alternative.

Keith replied:
   "Yes, Pannir, this is indeed the missing bit, and one of the last pieces of
the puzzle for truly viable and sustainable biofuels production for small farms
and local communities."

"It's what we were planning in the first place when we started the Biofuel list
seven years ago, it was on the list of goals we made then, and it's still
there,   ....... "

     I would like to revive the discussion of anhydrous ethanol.

     As I understand it, the ethanol used to make ethyl esters must be dry;
less than 1% H2O. The WVO must be very good quality (dry + titrate less than
2.0 using .1%NaOH).
     Last year at about this time I built a simple still for recovering
methanol. I attempted to dry the methanol using 3A Molecular Sieve (Zeolite).
The plan was to get familiar with the process while recovering methanol and
move on to ethanol after building a reflux still and getting the necessary
permit to distill ethanol.
     Drying the alcohol and regenerating the zeolite was not as easy as I
thought it would be. I put the project aside, but have not quite given up.

     My question is:
     Is it actually possible for a person, to produce 99+% pure ethanol using
readily available materials, and at reasonable cost, or must it be produced on
an industrial scale?  Are any of you making it "in your backyard"?

     I've got my Jerusalem artichokes growing ("Sun Chokes" as Jim Phelps likes
to call them) and will try growing sweet potatoes this year. I can always eat
them if I don't end up fermenting them.
                                              Best to You,
                                                           Tom