I'd like to give you a recommendation. But, the last batch of seeds I purchased aren't sprouting too well. This may be due to the ground temps being below 70F. Jat likes 75 - 80F soil temps. Contact me in 3 weeks and I'll give you a status report.

Has anyone else sprouted Jat successfully in the US? I'm at it's most nothern range 33 deg N lat.

Regards,
JQ

Mike Cappiello wrote:
please tell me how you aquired the seeds. thanks, Mike
cappiello
--- James Quaid <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Keith,

I'm doing a Jatropha cultivation experiment in AZ.
It survived the 115F. But the 24F killed a 1/3 of my test planting. It is very sensitive to a hard freeze. And according to what I've read, standard breeds will produce 300 gal/ acre 600 gal/acre if it blooms twice. Jatropha originally from Central America. I'd be very interested to see what the GMO stuff does especially in cold climes.

I'm having a heckuva time sprouting seedlings. The
current batch of seeds I have is from Suriname. We will be doing an acre test planting on a farm with saline wells. Jatropha can allegedly
handle salt pretty well.

Here's what the Germans are doing with it:
<http://www.d1plc.com>

Regards,
JQ

Keith Addison wrote:
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/orl-biodiesel1707apr17,0,4223949.story?
track=mostemailedlink
'Farming our fuel'
Officials from a local company will tout the
jatropha plant today in
Tallahassee. "We're doing things right here in
Orlando that are going
to change America."

Rich Mckay | Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted April 17, 2007

ABOUT BIODIESEL
What is it?
Biodiesel is a fuel made from rendered vegetable
oils or animal fats
refined through a chemical reaction with an
alcohol.
What can be used to make it?
Soybean oil is used to make most of the biodiesel
in the U.S.
Restaurant grease or any vegetable oil such as
corn, canola,
cottonseed, mustard oil also can be used. Jatropha
oil is widely used
in India and Asia. Other companies are developing
ways to make
biodiesel out of algae, restaurant scraps and even
animal carcasses.
Why bother?
Biodiesel is considered an alternative to
petroleum diesel because it
can be grown, rather than pumped from a well. It
is also considered a
neutral gas. It doesn't put back into the
atmosphere anything it
didn't absorb when it was part of the environment.
Is it as powerful as diesel?
It is considered to have the same power as
petroleum diesel.
What engines can use it?
It can be mixed with petroleum diesel and used in
unmodified diesel
engines. Engines can be modified to run 100
percent on biodiesel.
What does biodiesel smell like?
That depends its source. Some say it smells like
french fries.
Biodiesel made from jatropha doesn't have a strong
odor.
SOURCE: Sentinel research
America, meet your next tank of gas -- made from
superpowered seeds.
A couple of Orlando entrepreneurs say that a
Malaysian variety newly
approved for U.S. import could help solve
America's energy woes and
boost Central Florida's economy with a new cash
crop.
State Agriculture Commissioner Charles Bronson,
along with executives
from the Orlando-based Xenerga Inc., are scheduled
to introduce a
patented version of the jatropha plant today in
Tallahassee.
"We're doing things right here in Orlando that are
going to change
America," said Dave Jarrett, a company spokesman.
"Just wait and see."
The oil pressed from the jatropha nut can be used
to make biodiesel,
producing six to eight times the amount of energy
extracted from
soybeans -- the most common crop used for
biodiesel in the U.S.
Xenerga president Jason Sayers and his business
partner Victor Clewes
have the exclusive patent on the high-octane
version of the plant
with seeds that grow inside bunches of fat green
pods the size of
peach pits.

It can produce 1,600 gallons of biodiesel per
acre, compared with
soy's 200 gallons, Sayers said.

A Lake Wales farmer is ready to grow 5,000 acres
of the genetically
enhanced jatropha, Jarrett said. And unlike soy,
which takes lots of
tending, fertilizer and water, the jatropha plant
can grow happily in
arid soil, with little water and almost no
tending.
"Think of it as farming our fuel," Sayers said.

President Bush mandated that refineries should
have renewable fuels
blended into 7.5 billion gallons of the nation's
fuel supply by 2012.
Only about 75 million gallons of biodiesel were
sold in the U.S. last
year, compared with about 6 billion gallons of
petroleum diesel,
according to the National Biodiesel Board, a trade
organization.
"Biodiesel is huge in Europe and Asia," Sayers
said. "America is just
now catching up."

So Sayers and his associates are also launching a
venture with
Xenerga that will sell prefabricated mom-and-pop
biodiesel refineries
for about $2 million.

Their plan is to sell turnkey operations,
manufactured in Germany and
shipped here, and promise a steady supply of raw
materials and
customers. They have contracts to build about 16
of the refineries.
Each refinery, if running at capacity, can produce
5 million gallons
of biodiesel a year. Jarrett said they already
have a slew of
inquiries and expect to have 100 refineries
throughout the country up
and running in 18 months.

Besides the jatropha nut, his other sources will
include a plentiful
supply of restaurant grease. Through Sayers' other
business,
FiltaFry, which cleans restaurant fryers, he
spotted a potential
energy source in leftover grease.

The National Biodiesel Board said the industry is
growing fast, with
about 90 plants operating now and another 60 under
construction.
While Xenerga won't have its first plant, in
Kissimmee, up and
running for two more months, Silver Bullet Energy
has a small plant
in Groveland that started making biodiesel this
year out of grease
extracted from sewage.

Another company, Southeast BioDiesel, plans to
make about 6 million
gallons of fuel a year from restaurant grease or
soybean oil. It
expects to be up and running in Sanford this
summer.
And MetroWest developer and entrepreneur Kevin
Azzouz said he's
getting into the business with a company called
Clean
=== message truncated ===>

Search the combined Biofuel and Biofuels-biz list
archives (50,000 messages):