Hi John,

In Canada its the price of land that is the stumbling block.

Terry Dyck> Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 20:33:31 -0400> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> To:
sustainablelorgbiofuel@sustainablelists.org> Subject: Re: [Biofuel] Feeding
people is easy: but we have to re-think the world from first principles> > > >
My father-in-law grew up on a farm and didn't like it. He's > > convinced that
most people nowadays wouldn't tolerate the kind of hard > > labor necessary to
survive on the land, but my experience with gardening > > makes me question how
"hard" this labor really is . . . Yes, I've used > > a rotovator and I have a
shredder that speeds up the composting process, > > but these things COULD be
done by hand if I really had to do them, and > > the exercise wouldn't hurt,
either.> >> > > The difference is one of income vs labor. In most white collar
jobs you> are not paid based stictly on what you produce, or your 'production'
is> not tangible. Farming. . . you only make what you work for. And many> times
something gets in the way. . . weather, equipment problems, bugs,> fertility
problems. Without charging wild oats prices it is *very* hard> to make a living
growing produce without relying on minimum wage/slave> labor. Even if you are
making a living, it will be modest by american> standards (40k household income
would be an outstanding year). Yet> there are many perks. . . no commute. . .
getting to watch your> neighbors line up for a 1.5 hr commute. . . and various
intangibles. It> can be a good life for the right person, but I agree that most
of my> generation, ~30, are not willing. Or they jump in half baked, throwing>
money at problems that just need creativity and grease.> > You'll know it when
you find it--just do your homework.> John> >