John Ferree wrote:

>Why do you think I choose to farm?  Honestly, I think the potential for
>real cultural change is limited.  Between the monster of globalization
>and the dog and pony show we call congress.   You know it's bad when the
>anarchists shut up and lay low for fear of going to prison. . .

    This is a trend that has been going on for several years now.  My
saintly mother-in-law has told me that I need to be careful about what I
say, and for a woman who remembers Germany in the 1930's, that's a
chilling remark.

>While it is an exceptional rural economy in the us that is thriving
>(usually due to a honda plant or whatever), the financial reality of
>small scale farming for a living is slim.

    The crux of the matter!  We might be able to subsist, but can we
thrive?  In a place where property values are increasing rapidly, the
economics of subsistence look like they lead to poverty.  I have
children who need to be fed, clothed and educated so that they can, one
day, live as independent citizens.  We know of a family who grow
"boutique" and heritage "organic" vegetables (it's not an organic system
in my view--merely substitution of one kind of input for another) in our
area, and BOTH parents have jobs outside their farm.  It's virtually
impossible to earn a living as a small farmer in this area.

> That your income will be low
>enough that you'll have to make significant lifestyle changes.  I've
>enjoyed many of the changes we've made, but many people would only long
>for the convienience of industrial servitude.

    Another good point!  My sweetheart sees the concept of rural living
as a path to continually "falling behind," with no hope of recovery.
When we tour the interior of British Columbia we witness a LOT of despair.

> One of the biggest
>drawbacks is that we're so busy with our hands that affecting change
>(outside of just farming) is impossible.

    Indeed!

>How expensive is land in Canada?

    It depends on where the land is located.  The lot where we built our
house in 2002 cost us $78 000.  There is NOTHING available for building
in this area now that's under $200 000.  Rural land, especially if it's
arable and has access to water, is ridiculously expensive.   Where
inexpensive land is available no jobs exist, and moving to such a place
would pretty well ensure that we'd never go anywhere else.

>   What's the exchange rate right now?

    The Canadian dollar has been slightly above the US dollar for
several weeks.

robert luis rabello
"The Edge of Justice"
"The Long Journey"