Chris Burck wrote:
| josh, this is like claiming the engine uses less fuel when it's shut
| than when it's running.  aerodymics aren't magic.  a vehicle moving at
| 65mph is still encountering more air resistance than when moving at
| 55mph.  there are many interesting aspects in automobile technology
| today, yet today's average vehicle consumes more fuel than in years
| past.  it *may* be that today's vehicles are as aerodynamically
| efficient at 65mph as earlier vehicles were at 55mph, but that seems
| doubtful and in itself means little.  gearing?  a vehicle in 6th gear
| (wish they'd started making them decades ago) will always consume less
| fuel at 55mph than at 65mph.  can you provide any citations to back up
| these rather outlandish claims you make?

Well,

One of the most aerodynamic vehicles I've ever had the pleasure to
drive is the 3rd (current) generation Toyota Prius. While I haven't
logged a lot of miles in one, I've logged a few, and what I've found,
is what one might expect. Driving like the more radical drivers
suggest works. With the Prius's monitoring, you get really quick
feedback on what the vehicle is doing. At highway speeds, momentum
works. On one relatively short trip on limited access eastern highways
and freeways, I managed to squeak 56 mpg average over 110 miles. Speed?
anywhere from 32 to 88 mph. Gently accelerating on downgrades, using
the internal combustion engine as little as possible, doing one's best
to make the best use of the terrain, and paying no attention to speed
'limits' whatsoever, and letting the momentum gained from battery driven
down grade acceleration, remarkable efficiency is possible. Average
velocity for the trip? 54mph. 'Pulse and glide' on the flats,
decelerating on the climbs, using gravity + some electrical power
on the descents.

While the Prius, as we all know, has that nifty ability to store
energy in an battery bank, the overall concept still applies.

This is how the old road tractor pilots used to drive. No regard
for 'speed limits', and maximizing every advantage possible.
Remember those miles long truck convoys of the 70s? Sometimes
moving at incredible speeds? Those guys are paying attention to
a lot of feedback that automobile drivers don't. They have exhaust
temp monitoring, they have manifold pressure monitoring, they
actually know where their torque bands on their power plants
lie, most of them were gear heads, and grew up driving farm
farm tractors from like age 12 or earlier. Good feel for
machinery.

Lorry drivers in Europe didn't operate like that, it's unsafe.
Unsafe in a relative sense. But there used to be real good money
in hauling freight in the US, and quite literally, a gallon
saved was money earned.

Folks like to point at a lot of statistics on fuel consumption
in the US. Couple of things that I keep in mind, in the '70s',
folks like to think that cars got better mileage. Well, wouldn't
that depend on the car? My father was a big fan of VW beetles.
He loved the things, bought his first new one in 62, and owned
countless ones over the years, he finally got a diesel dasher,
3rd hand in 81 or so, and drove that thing for another few hundred
thousand miles, averaging well over 50mpg the whole way, he could tease
a few less drops per mile better than anyone I knew, and drove like
there were eggs between his feet and the pedals, that should never
be broken.

But facts are, the modern highway is no place for a vw beetle,
diesel rabbit, nor dasher. The cars on the road today have antilock
brakes, traction control, more airbags than you can count, and are
capable of crossing the lanes at full speed, and destroying a rabbit,
slaughtering the occupants and walking away with a bruise or two, and
the lawyers to make sure it doesn't cost anything.

I quit driving rabbits about 5 years ago, I'm a hold out. Bought an
old subaru outback wagon. It can take a hit, and I drive in the
mid-atlantic a lot. Averaging over 25k a year. I can squeak 30+
mpg out of it, mixed-highway. on the weekends anyway.

Folks want throw weight in an accident. and an accident is a given.
It's assumed. Way back, decades ago, there was a speculative fiction
story in Road & Track called 'A nice morning drive' the plot of which
was a fellow with an old fun delicate car, an MGB, going out on early
weekend drive in the distant future, where HSVs (high safety vehicles)
ruled the road. Like the SUV of today, the HSV of fiction can kill
you and get away with it, scott free, without real consequence.
It's not a great story, but I liked it at the time, and it's lesson
has born the test of time very well.

Anyway, before I drift way afield of the topic, the Prius is about
as good as it currently gets, and it starts building measurable
drag at about 22mph, there is a harmonic drop in the drag somewhere
in the low 50s somewhere, but the inverse square law still applies.

Driving down the highway, isn't a static thing, it's dynamic and
the factors that play into fuel consumption are legion. It's completely
possible to get better mileage at 65 than 55, but highly unlikely.
And nothing, and I mean nothing is worse, than lock-step, high density
traffic spaced out far enough to be buffeted about by the turbulence,
but unable to take advantage of the low pressure, blah blah blah,
in other words, the over-crowded US highway, here in the east anyway.
Basically, the whole model is broken, it doesn't work, and it needs
to be done away with.

A nationwide 55mph speed limit is a piece of ducttape over a rent
in a ocean freighter's hull. It's a gesture, but that's all it is.

The 'Interstate' system is a bad idea. an overcrowded interstate
system is a idea that's orders of magnitude worse. But that's
what we have, and it needs to go away.

mornings

| On 4/25/08, Josh Boltrek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
|> Very well put Chip.  Too many people are overly-anxious to demand laws to
|> fix what ought to be dealt with using common sense and/or market/social
|> forces.  Very often, laws are enacted to affect change for things
which are
|> changing anyway (say, in response to voter 'demand for action').
This can
|> often lead to a backlash, as the results tend to swing too far in the
|> desired direction.  This is because the legislators are simply
implimenting
|> what is often happening on its own.  Thus, we spend half our time
|> legislating what 'ought to be the law,' and the other half trying to
figgure
|> out how to effectively rein-in the results of those laws.
|>
|> On the topic of speed limits specifically: Many cars now are actually
more
|> efficient at 65 MPH than they are at 55 MPH (due to gearing,
aerodynamics,
|> better tyres, etc).  The other thing to consider when thinking about
speed
|> limits is time savings, and how that can affect accident rates.  Many
|> studies have shown that accident rates have decreased with the higher
speed
|> on US highways.  This seems to be because drivers do not have to spend
|> nearly as much time monitoring the speedometer, and they can relax more-
|> simply driving at a speed that is comfortable.  This leads to less
fatigue,
|> and therefore fewer accidents.  Cleaning up accidents takes a significant
|> amount of time and resources, and building new cars to replace
crashed ones
|> uses even more.
|>
|> Therefore, I put forward the idea that leaving the speed limits where
they
|> are will ultimately use less fuel than reducing the speed limits
will.  If
|> petrol gets expensive enough, people will naturally begin to demand
higher
|> efficiency from their cars, and drive at the most efficient speed for
their
|> particular car.  The most notable result of the 55 MPH speed limit
was not
|> actually fuel savings, but rather massive revenue gains for the Highway
|> Patrol.
|>
|> Cheers,
|>
|> Josh

- --