I have a 2002 Golf: on a flat road at 1850 rpm or about 59 mph, it gets
close to 60 mpg.  On I 95 in the US, where it is impossible to go less than
70 mph without being killed by a trucker, the mileage drops into the
high 40's, at 80 or so, into the low 40's.

If I had another gear (6th) I think it would do better.

-Mike