Hi Doug

>No conspiracy was needed.
>
>Bin Laden knew what the U.S. wanted: an excuse for U.S. armies in the
>Middle East.
>
>The U.S. knew what Bin Laden wanted first: a major strike at the U.S.,
>by preference at the World Trade centre (they had tried before, and it
>was highly symbolic).

AFAIK, Bin Laden never admitted responsibility for 9/11. Various
statements purportedly by Bin Laden claiming he did it tend not to
survive close scrutiny. He denied it several times:

<http://911review.com/articles/usamah/khilafah.html>

<http://archives.cnn.com/2001/US/09/16/inv.binladen.denial/>

<http://www.911omissionreport.com/bin_laden_denies.html>

He said it was carried out by individuals with their own motivation
or for their own personal reasons. Or that was his opinion, but if he
didn't do it himself why would he know anything more than anyone else
about who did? And if he did do it, why would he deny it?

At its "Most Wanted Terrorists" web page the FBI says "Usama Bin
Laden is wanted in connection with the August 7, 1998, bombings of
the United States Embassies in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, and Nairobi,
Kenya. These attacks killed over 200 people. In addition, Bin Laden
is a suspect in other terrorist attacks throughout the world." But it
doesn't mention 9/11.
<http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/terrorists/terbinladen.htm>

Rex Tomb, Chief of Investigative Publicity for the FBI, commented:
"The reason why 9/11 is not mentioned on Usama Bin Laden's Most
Wanted page is because the FBI has no hard evidence connecting Bin
Laden to 9/11."
<http://valis.gnn.tv/blogs/15910/June_6_2006_FBI_says_No_hard_evidence_connecting_Bin_Laden_to_9_11>

"On September 20 2001, the Taliban offered to hand Osama bin Laden to
a neutral Islamic country for trial if the US presented them with
evidence that he was responsible for the attacks on New York and
Washington. The US rejected the offer." (Twice.)
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2003/nov/11/afghanistan.iraq>

And "Al-Qaida" is just a fantasy, there was no such worldwide network
of sleeper cells and so on just waiting to strike and it was only a
matter of time, it simply didn't exist, they made it up. The neo-cons
are real aces at starting with the desired conclusion and filling in
the "facts" as you go along, they've been doing that since the Reagan
era. Phantom enemies - but they tend to become real if you demonise
them enough and chuck a few billion bucks at it.

>They differed on what the result of U.S. armies in the Middle East would
>be. Points to Bin Laden.

Indeed. As a French diplomat commented at the time: "Monsieur Bin
Laden must be tres satisfied."

Anyway, no perps you could shake a charge-sheet at, and the whole
thing remains about as clear as ketchup. Some big jets flew into some
big buildings in the US and lots of people were killed, and beyond
that? "I know FOR A FACT that the World Trade Center was hit by laser
beams from a secret US military space station..." Right.

Best

Keith