I think essential to your question is that there is confusion about the
definition of intelligence.  What does it mean?  And should we assume
that a consequence of what we define as intelligence precludes the
possibility of self destruction?  Perhaps our definitions are not good
enough or maybe you are disturbed because you are just more highly
evolved and you see a different set of incentives than the average slob?
You are capable of choosing a more difficult road or perhaps a less
immediately gratifying one in exchange for a much larger and more
profound goal.  Some of us feel very disturbed in the developed world
because it appears the majority here don't seem to be capable of taking
that road. Perhaps we should define intelligence in terms of where a
person is willing to make these tradeoffs.(?)  Look at the article in
the recent post about Japanese society.  Between the lines is a
comentary about how individuals from the lowliest worker to the highest
executive chose to defer or ignore some aspect of personal integrity in
exchange for a personal incentive. In this case unswerving loyalty in
exchange for security and reward. And now we see the result. A much
larger threat which was unconsidered. Intelligent? There are so many
manifestations of the same thing in so many different sociopolitical and
socioeconomic contexts. I find it so ironic that people like you and me
and many here on this list live in a state of conflict with this
dichotomy.  We are deeply ambivalent about being in a minority.  We
enjoy living in a prosperous condition, a circumstance of a global
minority,  and simultaneously rail amidst a majority of zombies in our
own society.  Is it because of your intelligence or your spiritual
evolution that you wish to brake the train before it runs off the cliff?
Is there a difference? Will we ever know? Do we even need to have an
answer for that?
  What if these ideals we strive for are themselves just artifacts of an
overlarge brain mass? An evolutionary cul de sac. Mu.

Joe