>      I keep waiting for Keith to jump in, as he is far more optimistic
>about human nature than I.

That's not quite the full picture Robert. This is a cyclical
discussion here, and am I right in thinking that the cycle is
speeding up?

Anyway, you usually say I'm more optimistic than you are, as if that
explains it. Actually, it's been accepted here before that there's no
contradiction between optimism and realism. So what do you really
mean when you say I'm "optimistic"? Maybe I'd call it "realistic". If
you take a good look at previous discussions I think you can see why.
In fact it's not a matter of opinion, there's an ever-growing
preponderence of scientific evidence to support it. (Though Joe went
into denial over that a few months back.) Now, wouldn't it then be
more rational to attribute your view of things to simple pessimism?
Eg. "Robert is far more pessimistic about human nature than I am." Hm?

Also, I often have to insist on a clear distinction between human
behaviour and the behaviour of not-human "persons", but then the
waters get muddied again and soon enough the dire consequences of one
type of behaviour are being attributed to the basic innate rottenness
of the other type of person, or "person", I'll leave you to decide
which is which.

"Wisdom is the domain of the wis, which is now extinct." - Frank Zappa.

Bullshit, Frank.

 From a recent post:

>It seems to me that the higher a country's per-capita advertising
>and PR budget gets, the more likely people are to think humanity is
>a disease, and the bigger their eco-footprints get too. They're only
>a minority, but they've already far outgrown Earth's carrying
>capacity.
>
>If you start at the other end of the scale, with countries that
>don't even have an advertising budget, people, even poor people,
>tend to have much happier views, and their feet fit the planet with
>lots of room to spare. That's most people, they're the majority.
>
>Back at the rich end there's a tiny minority with truly monstrous
>eco-footprints, but, persons or not, they're not human at all.

Best

Keith