Interesting discussion;
I've heard it postulated that having a significant prefrontal cortex allows us
humans to -if we work really really hard at it- achieve something that isn't
pure evil. That said, we -as a species- don't really like to use our prefrontal
cortex all that much. We prefer to act based on emotion, action<->re-action.
That's much easier. We have a pretty strong evolutionary precedent for acting
on what serves us in the short term, the long term nearly always can only be
considered to beneficial to others, not us, not directly.

But what about yeast? How intelligent is yeast? Are there yeast cells that
become
aware of the walls of the petri dish? Do they tell their neighbors? Do the
neighbors shout them down, calling them unpatriotic, traitors, communists, etc?

No, yeast cells probably don't ever become aware of the walls of the petri
dish,
probably never become aware of the depletion of the agar. But then again,
neither
do we.

So, as an experiment goes, this is a pretty good one, and the empirical results
are
pretty telling.

Intelligence? Where?