Since rapeseed oil was used to lubricate steam engines, because of its
properties of clinging to cylinder walls and resisting being washed off by
steam...

"The crop has undergone a great metamorphosis in quality and production
since it was first grown as an emergency war measure on a few acres in 1942.
At that time, rapeseed oil was considered an essential lubricant because it
could cling to water- and steam-washed metal surfaces better than any other
oil. Since the naval ships and trains of the time were steam-powered, and
with the European and Asian rape oil supplies cut off, Canada was asked to
undertake production. "

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/proceedings1990/v1-211.html

 and since we have evidence of how incredibly lubricating it is,

"In the case of biodiesel oil made from canola, the University of
Saskatchewan has shown that a 1% addition to petroleum diesel fuel would
help reduce engine wear by 40%"

http://www.agr.gc.ca/misb/spcrops/framework_e.phtml#3.2.1

 I wonder if the potential for water corrosion is reduced by the presence of
that oil, versus the fossil diesel.

Edward Beggs, BES, MSc
http://www.biofuels.ca

on 6/9/02 4:33 AM, F. Marc de Piolenc at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Basically, the reason for excluding water from diesel fuel - aside from
> its devastating effect in cold climates - is to prevent corrosion of the
> injection system.
>
> A water mist is helpful in moderating combustion and boosting output
> under come circumstances, but it, too, must be used with caution to
> prevent corrosion of the upper cylinder. Basically, you start then
> engine "dry" and start the mist only when it is fully warmed up. You
> stop the mist before stopping the engine, giving time for any condensed
> water in the intake manifold to vaporize and go through the engine.
>
> Marc de Piolenc

Biofuels at Journey to Forever
Biofuel at WebConX
http://www.webconx.com/2000/biofuel/biofuel.htm